Friday, January 2, 2009

A WALK AT THE BEACH IN THE FOG

Yesterday I started my new life style for 2009. I ate healthy, wrote everything down and then I decided to go for a walk for exercise.

But, I didn't want to walk around the neighborhood. So I picked up my camera, got in my car and drove about 20 minutes to Newport Beach.


I absolutely love going to the beach in the winter. Even more so then in the summer. To some of you that may sound strange.

In the winter the beach has an err of mystery, romance and is even a bit eerie when the fog rolls in.


There were very few people there but there were lots and lots of Sandpipers. They are so fun to watch. They chase the water as it rolls back to the sea. Then they peck down to get dinner.

Once a wave comes towards them they turn and run into shore. They run so fast! They almost look like a cartoon when they run. I had to laugh at them.

The lifeguard stations are all closed up now. The sign reminds you that you are alone out there as it says NO LIFEGUARD ON DUTY.


The fog was coming in pretty fast and it was getting colder and colder as the minutes ticked by.

However, the Sea Gulls were still hanging around looking for food.


In the summer time the Sea Gulls fly around searching for left over food that humans may leave behind as they go into the water or have packed up and gone home. In the winter they know they have to hunt for their food as the people are gone.

So out with the Sandpipers they stand waiting for something to grab hold of to munch on.

There were a few brave surfers out there. The waves are always better for them in the winter since there are storms that bring with them dream waves.

There were several fishermen trying to catch a fish or two off the pier. I don't know how they did because I didn't walk on the pier today.

Most were packing up though, as the fog was becoming so thick you could hardly see the end of the end of the pier.


My walk did take me under the pier. I have always thought it looks so much better under the pier then on top.


The Barnacles that attach themselves to the pier were pretty shades of white and greens today.


I managed to get a small collection of shells. Now this may not seem like a big deal, but, most of our beaches here in So. California don't have many shells. We have mostly sand.

In the summer shells are almost impossible to find unless you get there early. Then most of what you do find are broken ones.


Up towards the parking area there is a great place to purchase fresh fish.

Early in the morning the fishermen pull up here and you can purchase whatever the catch of the day may be.

This is the area the fish is sold. I'm not sure if they fill the boats with the fish or what. Since I don't eat fish I've never gotten there early enough to see what goes on.

When I looked up and saw these Pelicans I thought they were fake. It's hard to tell but they were very very BIG! Then I saw them move and I knew they were real.

I thought this little lighthouse was cute. I wonder if it lights up at night.

It finally got to cold and to foggy to stay any longer so I went back to my car. Once inside, I just sat there for awhile. It's so peaceful there. I hated to leave. But, I knew it was just the first of many visits to the beach I will have this year.

I'm already longing to go back.
Photobucket

18 comments:

Darlene said...

How neat to live that close to a beach! I think I would be walking there daily. I have heard that walking/running on the beach sand is really a great workout! Just beautiful!

Unknown said...

Looked like that (with the fog) a little further south today (or yesterday), too! Looks like a fabulous way to spend the day! I love to go for a walk on the beach!

Lindsay-ann said...

Hi Joanne
Thank you for taking me on this little trip to the beach. It looks beautiful and eerie too. That picture of the pier where the end is shrouded in mist is really spooky.
Please can we go back another day? I loved it, as you know the beach is my favorite place.
Happy New Year
Lindsay

Harbor Hon said...

I love being under the pier in Ocean City too. It's the best place and it's so quiet except for the sound of the waves coming in. Thank you for sharing your side of the Ocean with us. I enjoyed the 'walk on the beach.' xxoo

Glenda said...

I too love the beach better during that time. I love the smell of the ocean.

Great start to the new you.

Mistress Meeyee said...

I would love to live near the beach but instead I live near the Mississippi river.

Joyce's Journey said...

Way to go, Joanne! Nothing like making something you have to do, something fun to do! I loved all of your pix - you got some really great shots.

I'm trying to get the year off to a good start like you and I'm feeling good so far. I've learned from dieting in the past and quitting smoking almost twenty years ago that attitude is everything in all we do. I will be keeping in touch with you for the motivation that we can give each other.

Sometimes It's Good said...

I love the beach all year round. The winter is a great time to go. Next weekend I'm going to check out some condos and mobiles in Huntington. Maybe we'll be "neighbors" this coming year.
Hugs, Susan

Mistress Meeyee said...

Did you know that your blog is my favorite?? Also you are my favorite blogger!No joke,I mean it!

Unknown said...

What a lovely way to start off the new year! I would prefer to be at the beach in winter too over summer for the reasons you mentioned. Enjoy it!

Peggy said...

I wish I had a beach to walk on. So pretty.
Peggy

Jean Tuthill said...

I enjoyed my visit to the beach with you. I have been to the Atlantic Ocean many, many times in my life and just love it. I always think that people that live right near the ocean are so lucky. I actually lived and worked at the beach for a summer when I was 17 yrs old and did not want to return home when summer was over. Now I am 20 miles away and don't get there very often. I loved all your pictures, they were so beautiful and well thought-out for your post.

Wanita said...

Your pictures of the beach are great. We have taken several vacations to the ocean, both the Atlantic and Pacific. Those vacations have been some of my favorites! It must be wonderful to live close enough to take walks along the beach any time of the year.

Blessings,
Wanita

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

Joanne..I loved your sweet and friendly note. I used to live in Costa Mesa and spent lots of time on the beach. I haven't been in..years. You brought back memories. Thank you for that. Lots of history in that area for me and my family. Some sweet, some sad. Please do contact me if you decide to take an adventure to the Riverside area. I would love to meet you.
Hugs back.
Mona

Maryjane-The Beehive Cottage said...

Hello Joanne! What wonderful pictures of Newport, even on a foggy day! Looks like rain tomorrow, doesn't it? I live in Murrieta (Tememcula). wishing you a wonderful 009!

Hugs,
Maryjane

Lisa Johnson said...

Thanks for all the great pictures of your morning at the beach. They made me long for when I used to live down in Southern California only one block to the beach (in Hermosa). I sure miss being close to the beach. Thanks for the memories.

Lisa

Cindy said...

I thought about going to the beach yesterday. It was foggy and drizzly here. I saw a seagull eating trash off the street in front of my house which made me think of the beach. It's a 30 minute drive and I was too lazy to go but now that I see your photos I wish I had!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Hi Joanne

Walking at the beach is the best! I always find I can walk a long time and not feel tired as there is so much to look at. The shells you picked up are the same ones I find here on the east coast --mostly clam, mussel and some scallop shells. I hardly ever see Pelicans though!

My favorite photo that you took was the one under the pier! Nice shot!

One day at a time is a good motto for our diets!

Hugs, Pat