Wednesday, May 26, 2010

MEMORIAL DAY TABLESCAPE



When I was just a kid, Memorial Day was really just another day off school. Signaling summer was just around the corner!

A day of BBQ's and picnics. Watermelon, chilled and ready to eat. Corn on the cob and strawberry shortcake for dessert.



Now, it means so much more. It's a day to remember those who gave their own life so ours can be better.

In doing my family tree, I found out that I have relatives that fought in every war our Country has been in, all the way back to the Revolutionary War.

Today's Tablescape is in their honor.



Full of red, white and blue. Stars and stripes.

My sister bought me the place mats and napkins for my birthday. I layered it over a white tablecloth so the other items could stand out.




It all started when I found this little statute at a thrift store. It says "Greater love hath no man then this, that he lay down his life for his friends.

So, we will still BBQ, have corn on the cob and strawberry short cake. Only this time, as we sit down to the table, we will offer up prayers to all the brave men and women who gave their all.



I also found these gold star napkin rings at the thrift store. I knew I was going to use them and have waited months to be able to do so.

I started with my red plates that I've used many times. Then put the blue and white striped plate on top of that. I purchased those from the same thrift store as the napkin rings.

On top of that went red salad plates that I found at a different thrift store (I love shopping at thrift stores for tablescapes). Then lastly, went a star shaped bowl in either white or blue.



Each place setting has a little spreader. I thought these would be great to use to put the butter on the corn on the cob. Yum! I can't wait.

This spreader has flags.



This one has stars. They are glittered so there is some sparkle to the table that you can't really see in the photos.



This one has Uncle Sam hats. I forgot to take a picture of the last one but it is of Uncle Sam himself.



The proud Eagles also play a big part in this tablescape. At each place setting is a trinket box with the Eagle on it and a flag. Inside will be some red, white and blue candy. These are the favors for everyone to take home.



There are two styles. One has a square bottom.



The other has an oval.



I think this is the first time I have not used flowers or candles on a tablescape.

But, with the big Eagle sitting on top of the Liberty Bell, I felt none were needed. I wanted to give him center stage.

I hope this Memorial Day, you too, take a minute out to give thanks to the men and women who gave their life and to those who are still at war fighting.

For those of you want to know where everything came from:

White table cloth - Target
Place mats and napkins - gift from my sister but she got them at Kohls
Napkin rings - Thrift store
Large red plate - K-Mart
Blue and white plate - Thrift store
red salad plate - thrift store
red flatware - Target
Star bowls - Target
Eagle favors - 99 cent store
Big Eagle - Thrift store
Memorial statute - Thrift store
Flags - Target
Flag bowl- TJ Maxx
Spreaders - TJ Maxx
3 little red, white and blue bowls - TJ Maxx
Blue glasses - Thrift store
Red, white and blue stars on table - Michael's
Freedom sign - Michael's

I'm linking up to the Tablescape Thursdays at Between Naps on the Porch. Also, with Centerpiece Wednesday over at Style Sisters.
There are always so many pretty tables set up through out blogland so if you have not yet stopped by there, you may want to do so. I'm sure you will enjoy it.

God Bless America!

Photobucket

27 comments:

Rach said...

How festive! Very nice. I like the star bowls.

Connie said...

Let FREEDOM ring, sugar!!!
xoxo,
Connie

Lori @ Dining Delight said...

Very lovely! I like all your accessories that add to your theme! Especially that majestic eagle - so perfect! How nice that each guest gets a take-home mini-eagle as a momento too. Those blue glasses are so pretty! Nice bday gifts! Isn't it nice when others know what to get us!

DD

Kathleen said...

Love it! Everything is perfect. I remember when you got those star napkin rings!
You did a great job, J, and I so agree...people forget what we are remembering!
Enjoy the weekend!

Donna said...

What a beautiful and heartfelt post, Joanne. And your table, as always, is stunning. Have a wonderful Memorial Day celebration with your family!... Donna

Signing Out said...

Love this...especially the statue. Great job!

Jane

Just a dreamer said...

Absolutely marvelous! Your creativity is the spark for the beautiful tribute and tablescape. Jackie

Beth said...

Love your stemware and flatware and your china -especially the star bowls. Thanks for reminding us what Memorial Day is really all about.

Red Couch Recipes said...

What a festive red, white, and blue table...just love it all! Love the star bowls and the little spreaders that you added that give sparkle to the table. You sure find great thrift store finds! Joni

The Style Sisters said...

Love the star bowls and the cute spreaders! Very patriotic and fun! Come on by and link up with my Centerpiece Wednesday party.

Karin

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

Thanks for such a great tablescape and tribute -- this is so pretty.

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

God Bless America! Your patriotic table is ready for this national holiday. And I love that you did this as a tribute to all the soldiers in your family.

I think we used the same flatware. Arn't they quite sturdy for the thrifty price?

I love the mix of patterns on your table. So festive and ready for the first holiday of the summer.

Yvonne

Pinky said...

I just love your Memorial day table and the wonderful tribute to all our soldiers;past and present! I love every detail of this table....may even steal a few ideas:):) XO, Pinky

Lori Lucas said...

Not a single detail left untouched. THis is a wonderful tribute. I just love it. Thank you for reminding everyone of the real meaning of Memorial Day. It gets more precious each year, doesn't it? Wonderful job. Lori L

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Awesome tablescape...luv the spreaders!

Blessings,
Linda

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

What a cute, cute table setting! You are really great at that stuff, Joanne! (remember to bring your camera tomorrow!!) I meant to remind you on the phone.

I want some of that red flatware so badly and Target has it on sale now. I should grab it. They used to have it on a little rack but I don't think they do that now.

I love it when we are told where to buy the things...just in case we want one. This was great!!

Just so cheerful and I love red, white and blue! Very partriotic! :)
Hugs,
Mona

Cynthia@ITLLDO said...

Wonderful patriotic tablescape. It's all so perfect!

Martha said...

What a great table for that special day! Everything is just perfect!

The Style Sisters said...

Joanne! Thank you for liking up to Centerpiece Wedneday! and for purchasing the Napkin Rings :) I will ship them off today! You are the best! I know everyone will love your ideas.

Thanks again,
Karin :)

eatlotsachocolate said...

Memorial Day has become very special in my life too. We are all so very blessed due to all those that gave all they had for our freedom. It's especially dear to my heart now due to the fact that I lost my son six months ago to cancer and so we celebrate his life during this speacial day. My darling daughter-in-law had all of the family write him a note, place it in a balloon (yellow, his favorite color) fill it with helium and we all released them at the same time. My son's 8 year old son thought this up and he said "when the balloon pops then Daddy can read our letters." It was a vey special and tender day.
Hope you have a great Holiday.
Joanie

eatlotsachocolate said...

I'm back....I forgot, with all my goings on, to tell you how super your tablescape was. I adore the star dishes and the way you set it up and especially love the eagle and the gift eagles. You did a superb job with this beautiful table.

Marigene said...

Hooray for the red, white and blue! Love your eagles.
Have a great weekend!

Phyllis @Around the House said...

Love the table, love all the red white and blue, great minds do think alike....love the napkin rings and those star bowls are so darned cute...

Tricia said...

What a lovely, festive table! And I love your idea of using the little spreaders to butter corn on the cob! Charming!

Joyce said...

I salute you for putting out such a pretty tablescape for the holiday. Have a fun and safe holiday.
Joyce

Ribbonwood Cottage said...

Beautiful post. I love it all the table and the extra things you added to make it truly a memorable occassion. Love it. Your table really is so beautiful there aren't words to describe it!
Great post.
Happy Memorial Day Weekend.
blessings,
Debbie

Martha Cavazos Fipps said...

Love your Patriotic table.