Tuesday, May 18, 2010

OLD TOWN TEMECULA



After our great meal at The Lazy Dog yesterday, we drove to Old Town Temecula. There are old shops, buildings and lots of history here.

One of the stops we made was at this great store called Serendipity. With a name like that, it has to be good. Right?

Well it was. Not only did they have lots of old antiques but it had lots of other things too.



My favorite part was the gardening area. They had so many cute things there. Like this great potting table. I love how they used an old window as the back.



I also loved how they turned this outdoor bistro chair into a planter. Very cute.



They had several plants and flowers potted in old clay pots. Loved the weathered look.



This bee hive was my favorite piece I saw all day. Wouldn't it be perfect for a Bee themed tablescape!

When I saw it was $100 I said forget it. To much for my blood. But I do love it.



There are many old historic buildings still standing today. Though they are now used for different things.

Like this old Bank building. It was a Bank built in 1914. It still has the old hitching posts and granite curbing.

In 1943 the bank closed and the building has been used for other things since. It is now a Mexican Restaurant.

The old vault is still there though.



This building was built in the 1890's and was the first Mercantile store. It now is the Community Theater.



You will find shop after shop and almost every other one is an Antique store. I could have spent all day here.

However, my sister, Patty, isn't a lover of antiques so I didn't make her go in them with me. I figured I could go back on my own some day.



Built in 1917, St. Catherine's of Alexandria's Catholic Church, was the first church building in Temecula.

You can even get married here today.

Sadly, it was locked when we were there. I really wanted to see inside. I love little old churches.



This is the Rock Monument. This marks the area that became known as the Southern Emigrant Trail. It became a road widen by the passage of wagons belonging to the Mormon Battlalion, a group enlisted by the government to fight in the Mexican/American war.

This road led gold seekers and eager homesteaders on their way through the valley.

As you can see Joseph Smith was one of those people. I'm not Mormon but I believe he is an important person in the Mormon church. One of the founders, I think.

I love going to old towns and seeing all the old historic buildings. I walk along the streets and wonder what it was like all those years ago.

Do you like to go to old historic towns too?

Photobucket

6 comments:

Blondie's Journal said...

The antique store looks like a lot of fun...I love to see the gardening things. The bee hive was very cool.

My son went to school in Temecula and we were there to visit. Very lovely place. Flowers everywhere!

xoxo
Jane

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Temecula looks like a cool place to visit Joanne. I'd love to goantiqu shopping.

Love the bee hive but not the price ..lol

Yes, Blogher police did "get" me -- lol! Do you have a seperate "review" blog? It was a pain to have to do one but now it's done and maybe I'll be lucky and get some Blogher reviews? Did you ever do one?

Tales From My Empty Nest said...

What a fun city! Loved your pictures. I feel like I was there too. Thanks for sharing. Love & blessings from NC!

LaVon Baker said...

Yes! I love old, historic towns. We were in Guthrie, OK today... that's where the land rush began.

My nephew lives in Temecula. I love it! There's a beautiful RV resort there that we considered being the chaplain there, but had already made a commitment else.

Hope you get to go back to visit the antique stores soon.

Kathleen said...

J, you could make that Bee skep with rope! 100 dollars, that stings! :)

Margie said...

I love the old buildings! Great pics:) ~ Margie