Thursday, July 22, 2010

SHE SALES SEA SHELLS TABLESCAPE

It's been a few weeks since I played along with Susan over at Between Naps on the Porch for Tablescape Thursdays. Since it is her 100th anniversary, I felt like just sharing my friends party wasn't really fair. So, I'm posting my own tablescape and hope you enjoy it. I also hope you will go over to Susan's blog and see all the other fun tablescapes.



This is my 3rd Sea/Beach theme Tablescape I've done since joining in on Tablescape Thursday and I think it's my favorite.



I wanted to go with more sand colors and try to stay away from the blues I think of when I think of the Sea or Beach.

I also wanted it to be more natural looking items.

I started with a sandy color tablecloth and napkins. To that I added wicker chargers.



I knew I wanted to use shells too. So I borrowed my friend's white embossed shell plates. I love these plates and wish I owned them.

Borrowing from friends is a great way to save on money and of course space as you won't have to store the dishes.

On top of the plate I put the napkin in a white napkin ring that sort of looks like a sea urchin but I topped that with a white stick starfish. I love these starfish

I didn't glue them together as I wanted to be able to use both alone again some day.



At each place setting I put a little candle holder that looks like a rock. They all say Ocean Breeze but each has a different shaped shell on them. These would make nice little favors for everyone.

I spotted the little Pelican at a thrift store and picked him up. I knew some day he would be used in a Sea/Beach Tablescape. Isn't he cute?



I love this bird. He is a Fitz and Floyd beauty. Can you believe he only cost me $4.95 from Ross? What a deal. I think I'm going to keep him out for the summer in our living room or maybe my bathroom.



I just used my every day flatware. I wanted to keep the flatware simple and not take away from the other items on the table. Same with the glasses. I used simple clear goblets.



I found these candle holders at Ross also. However, they didn't have the shells on them. They had a Mother of Pearl button on them. Actually they had more of an Asian look then Sea/Beach.

So, I took the button off and glued on the shells. I used two small sand dollars and one small starfish. I then added small shells to the plate and the whole look of it changed. It now fit the theme just fine.

I just love the small adirondack chair. I borrowed if from my friend too. I don't want to give her anything back. Do you think she would notice if I didn't?



The crab is holding another big sand dollar. I picked the crab up months ago at TJ Maxx. I knew he would get used and he was on clearance for only $3.00.

Can you see the shell salt and pepper shakers in the background? I got them at a shell shop in Huntington Beach. I love that shop. I picked up the sand dollars and stick starfish from there too.

H

ere is a better shot of the plate. See, they are lovely, aren't they? You would want to keep them too.

The wicker chargers came from Pier One Imports awhile ago but, they still have them.



Here is the over all shot. You can finally see the white light house in this picture. It has shells going all around it. It also came from Ross.

I used a few natural twig balls around the table too. Just to add more of a nature feel to it. A few shell shape plates that were also borrowed from my friend finishes off the table.

OK, I feel better now that I got to play along for the 100th Tablescape anniversary.

Photobucket


17 comments:

Purnima@a creative project said...

Your table is so pretty!! I like the idea of using earth/sand colored tablecloth..It gives a perfect backdrop..such cute salt and pepper shakers.. Your napkin rings are so cool.. !!!

Kathleen said...

Glad you made the celebration! Love your natural beachy colors.
Have a great weekend!

The Decorative Dreamer said...

Very pretty! I love the natural color choices you chose. Very pretty coastal plates. Love your napkin rings too! So many pretty coastal goodies. Love it! Happy 100th TT Anniversary!

Rach said...

Very cute! Love the plates and the shells.

Barbara said...

What a pretty table! I like the neutral tones with the white. You have so many special little touches. How fun to have a friend to borrow from! You put together a lovely, relaxing table. Happy 100th!

Sharlotte said...

Your table is so calming and relaxing.I love all the shells and birds, such great finds! Thanks for sharing.
Sharlotte

a quiet life said...

i love the serenity of the sea~

Marigene said...

I love your table...the pelican, shore bird, starfish and that great lighthouse really set the tone for your coastal table.

More Entertaining Women said...

Joanne, Beautiful, serene table. Oh, so fetching and whimsical. All your bargain finds are great - from some of my favorite shopping destinations. And, borrowing from a friend is a nice option. I have "co-op" friends as well. What's mine is theirs if they want to beg, borrow or steal! Ha. Great TT 100th Anniversary setting!!

More Entertaining Women said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jackie said...

I love the little beach chair, the pelican, the starfish & the plates are gorgeous! Looks beautiful!!!

Marlis said...

Joanne, thanks for visiting and leaving such a nice comment. I love your seascape. It's so beautiful. I'm glad you did the "out of the norm" and went with neutrals. Glad you joined the party and glad i found your blog!

Entertaining Women said...

As a land locked lady, I always love the seaside tablescapes. The shells are such a treasure. You've created a well-balanced table, and I love the calming colors of sand and sea. I'd leave the bird out all summer, too. It's wonderful. Thank you for sharing your charming design. Cherry Kay

Johanna Gehrlein said...

Hello,
you have used lots of creative ideas to decorate your table and it turned out beautiful. The plates are adorable, I would also love to have them. I love the napkin rings with the big starfish and the shells. This little deck chair ist too cute. Thank you for sharing this fresh and beachy table.
Greetings, Johanna

Dining Delight said...

Terrific pelican, seagull, lighthouse and crab accessories, not to mention, the candleholders! Would love to dine at your table and receive the "Ocean Breeze" as a favour! There is something so captivating about a beach tablescape and I love how you went with the sand/white colours in this one!
Happy 100th week of TT to you!

DD

Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Hi JoAnne,
I'm so happy you joined in for the 100th TT celebration! I love everything about your tablescape! The soft, natural seaside colors are so pretty. I may have to copy those darling starfish napkin rings...great idea. :) The china is wonderful! If it has a name on the back, perhaps you could locate it on eBay. Love the shore bird...he looks quite happy on your table. :)
Happy 100th TT!
Hugs,
Susan

Victoria Mische said...

Hi! I am visiting your site almost everyday co’z I’ve seen so many cute and lovely pieces from your site since the first time I came here. Every thing you have shared in your post are really eye catching. Thank you for sharing your pretty table with us and have a wonderful week.

Spandex Table Covers