Wednesday, January 7, 2009

A BETTER ME DAY

Hello!

Well it seems as if some of us have already started working on our path to a healthier life. Some of us will be starting off today. Whichever one you are doesn't really matter. What matters is we are all on our way to becoming A BETTER ME!

I started on the 1st. I have been counting calories and have trying to get more exercise in. So far, I've lost 4 lbs.

If you are like me, you hate to exercise. So, what I have been doing is trying to get in exercise without it seeming like it is. I want to do things that are fun!

As you have seen, I've gone to the beach to walk along the sand, gone on a hike with some family members. I've also been taking my dogs for walks more often.

I still have not made it to the gym. I'm hoping to do that by next Wed. I also want to go to the batting cages. I thought that could be a fun way to get some calories burned off and get some good twisting and turns in for the waistline. Again, think fun and not exercise. It makes it so much easier.

Also, try to find others to join you. You will find that you will be talking, laughing and having so much fun you don't even realize how much exercise you are getting in. Those calories will burn off and that of course means losing fat and building muscles.

Another good idea as you are starting off is to measure yourself. Put the numbers away and in a month pull them out and see how many inches you lost. I found that helps you to see it on paper as the numbers get smaller and smaller.

Same with photos. Have someone you know take a photo of you from the front, side and back. Then do the same every month.

Sometimes we don't notice our own weight loss. Since we see our self ever day and we often have a low self image of our self it's often hard to see it.
But, a photo will really show the difference.

Starting off is always hard. We hate to get on the scale, take those measurements or even have pictures taken of us. But look at it this way, the next time you do it you will see progress! You will see yourself getting in better shape and you will start to feel much healthier.

I wanted to tell every I am proud of you for making this commitment. I wish I could say it's going to be easy but it won't be. It's going to take a lot of hard work. Changes will have to be made. You will have to stay away from the things that will sabotage you.

However, you WILL do it. You WILL make it this time. If you have a set back or fall down, pick yourself up and get back on track.

One last tip. Make a graft. Over time you will see that the number goes down. Even when you have a little set back or gain a bit. The graft will continue to go down as long as you don't give up.

Together we ARE going to reach our goal. Together, we ARE going to get healthier. Together, we ARE going to stay strong.

Let me know what your plans are. How are you going to get some more exercise in this week? Do you have a special meal you are going to make this week? Any tips to share with us?

I would love if you would all post on your blog about how things are going but if not, at least leave a message here so the rest of us can get inspired by you and maybe use a tip, a recipe or idea that you have.

Photobucket

10 comments:

Vickie said...

Now my eating is better. I cut pop out of my diet. That drink is only for special occasions.
Fast food and boxes will be cut. Make my portions smaller.

I diffently need to add fruits and vegetables.

I am going to try and get up early in the morning and walk fast on the treadmill for about 30 minutes everyday. After a few weeks, I am going to try and fit in 15 minutes here and there on my stepper along with the 30 minutes on the treadmill. Then eventually, I want to fit in strength training.

Edie Marie's Attic said...

WOW 4 lbs!! That's fabulous Joanne!! I'm so proud of you. This is going to be so much fun doing it together.
Thank you again!
I'm going to start with a 9 day Michael Thurmond diet (he's from Extreme Makeover) I've done his diet before and it's a great send off. Then I'm going to do Weight Watchers. I'll do a post when I'm back.
Big hugs, Sherry

^..^Corgidogmama said...

Way to go Joanne; you were smart to begin on the 1st. I wasn't motivated until I found your post, and began this Tuesday. I will report in next Tues., with a loss, I pray!
It never occured to me to measure myself! I went to 3fatchicks.com and printed out a weight loss progress chart. It's a good site. Also made up a weight loss ticker and put it on my blog's sidebar. Will measure tonight. Exercise is my hardest thing to accomplish as I'm very arthritic. Have to do it, I know. Will blow the dust off an old Richard Simmons tape and dance with our corgis! Have a good week. We dug out our WW books, and are following, somewhat, the point system. Will give it another whirl!

Anonymous said...

Sound like you're doing great! I make a soup with green beans, squash, stewed tomatoes, chicken stock, a little tomato paste, cabbage, and anything else you have around! It tastes great!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Hi Joanne!

Glad to hear you had some success already! I ahve doubled up on veggies and drink more water. The weather has been miserable so I went to the gym instead of walking, but I like walking better. Thnaks for all the encouragement!

Hugs, Pat

Sometimes It's Good said...

I'm not going to weigh myself until Saturday when I go to my WW meeting. Exercise is the hard part. I went to Victoria Gardens Mall and walked around for an hour. Every little bit counts! Here's to all of us!
Hugs, Susan

Tracey said...

Well, I'm thinking that I need to really not make any excuses any more. It's very easy to do. I've decided to pick the DVD of exercise that I want to do before I go to work and leave it on my nightstand so it's the first thing I wake to in the morning.
My eating is better..not great but I have been trying to make better choices and staying away from chocolate. So I'll see how this goes and let you know if it works.

Unknown said...

Congratulations on losing 4lbs.

Joyce's Journey said...

What a good, motivational post Joanne! I weighed in yesterday at Weight Watchers and am down 4.6 lbs. I am psyched!! I have been going for long, brisk walks with my sister and enjoying it. Tonight I am going with her to the gym she belongs to because they have a 90-day challenge at a very reasonable price. She's been going for about 6 months now, but is tired of doing it alone, so now I will at least do this 90-day challenge with her. I really feel the first couple of days are the hardest. I already feel different - better and I want to see more results. I like the idea of measuring yourself and taking pictures monthly. Good tips and thanks so much for sharing!!

You also did great! We gained it slowly so we must lose it slowly, and 4 lbs is a great start!! Keep up the good work and thanks so much for your encouragement!!

Julie said...

Congrats. Go and take a horse back riding lesson. If you try English and learn how to post the trot, you will awaken muscles that I swear God ONLY put there for riding horses!!!

Congrats on the loss. I need to get rid of my holiday weight soon!