Thursday, January 1, 2009

HAPPY NEW YEARS


I hope everyone had a wonderful New Years. I know I did. But, now it's time to look forward to 2009 with much excitement and joy.


While I have many goals for this new year my main one is to lose weight and exercise more. You know, get healthy!


There are so many diets out there and to be honest I think they all work. At least while you are on them. But, I don't want a diet. I don't want something I'm not going to "go off" of. I want to retrain myself to eat correctly and move more.


The only way one can lose weight or even maintain is to burn off more calories then you eat. So, I'm going to just keep track of calories. No diet plan to follow. Just watch everything that I put into my mouth and write it down to track it. That way, nothing is off limits. As long as you track it and count the calories.

Of course doing this means one could eat nothing but candy bars all day. I guess you could still lose weight doing that but you sure wouldn't be healthy.

So with the counting calories I'm going to be making sure I get the right amounts of protein and fruits and veggies. I'll post my plan for you tomorrow.


I also found out my health insurance will pay for me to join a gym. YEAH! I never knew they did that. I'm going to take advantage of that and go to Bally's. It's right down the street from me so I have no excuses to go.

My brother had a major stroke last May and he is still fighting every day to recover from it. He goes to physical therapy three times a week now and hates every minute of it. It's hard. It's painful and he gets tired. But he goes! He has never missed a meeting.

When I don't want to go to the gym I'm going to go in his honor. I'm going to look up to him, my hero, and go. I will be thankful that I'm able to walk in to the gym and work out. I will just think of how hard it is for my brother and if he can do it and not give up I won't either.

Now on to the "rules" of A BETTER ME.

Anyone can join. You can post on your blog whenever you like about how you are doing. Write about your exercise, post recipes, share your joy when you reach a goal or anything you want to talk about.

On Tues I would love if you would email me at jk51958@yahoo.com and let me know how much you lost. You do not have to tell me what you weigh. Then on Wed I will post what our group weight loss is. We can see how we are all doing and by showing our weight loss as a group even a tiny little weight loss that one person may have had will add up to be tons of weight lost.

We can all cheer each other on, learn tips and ideas, try new things and just have fun.

I thought it would be a good idea to link up everyone who is going to be in the A BETTER ME GROUP so I've added Mr. Linky. Just add your name to the list and then everyone can come visit you at your blog to say hi.

It would be great if everyone would post something about what their goal is. Is it to lose weight, learn to eat better, exercise more or what?




Photobucket

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year, I have been wanting to see something like this for a long time, so I'm very grateful to you for putting it togther. I'm going to try something. I've lost a city in my lifetime, but right so right, they all work while you're on it. Maybe this will help stay focused. Thank you and good luck.

Hugs,
Chris

~Red Tin Heart~ said...

Love, love that song! Rent is one of me and Elizabeth's favorite movies. I love the soundtrack from that movie.
I just wanted to stop by and wish you a very happy New Year.
Love Nita

Vickie said...

Well, I had my last pop about 1/2 hour ago. I decided I will only drink pop at parties.

Today is the day! My goal really is to bring my triglyceride down and hopefully a little wight.

Good luck to us all and Happy New Year!

Donna said...

Hi Joanne... I'll be e-mailing you on Tuesdays... Like you, my goal is to get more active and make healthier food choices. Five years ago I was on Weight Watchers and had much success with that. I'll probalby do something along those lines, which is also tracking food, just like you mentioned. Thanks for putting this together... Donna @ An Enchanted Cottage

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

Hi Joanne,
and Happy New Year too!
Thank you for praying for my Mom.She is at home and we hope the new pills will work:) It's been a long 4 days and I am trying to catch up with everyone.
Warmly,
Deb

Unknown said...

I have really enjoyed visiting your blog and the comments from you on my blog in 2008! Here's to many more to come in 2009!
Happy New Year!!!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Happy New Year Joanne! I have enjoyed getting to know you through your blog.

I would love to lose weight and I hope we can keep each other motivated ...let's make our motto: "yes we can!" :-)

Hugs, Pat

Tracey said...

Can't wait to begin. I really have begun to exercise and to eat better. I made muffins/cupcakes. Just use cake mix add a can of pumpkin and bake.. easy and no fat and they taste delicious. Enjoy and good luck.

^..^Corgidogmama said...

I was hoping to find an online group of women, like me, who want to lose weight with some gals.
Hooray!! I will email, next Tues, the 13th, as I will weigh tomorrow am for the 1st time. OK?
Count me in, girlfriends!

felicia said...

Happy New Year. It sounds like fun. Sign me up. Thanks! Felicia

Aunt Jo said...

Sign me up! I started back to Weight Watchers on 1/5 and I'm sticking with it this time.

Tracey said...

Hi Joanne.. I'm doing okay. I started walking at least 15 minutes every day and stopped eating after 7pm at night. Seems to be helping. I started with my Alli again and so far no side effects :) I've lost about 3 pounds in the last two weeks. I guess slow is better than fast. Thanks for keeping me on my toes and for leaving your wonderful comment. It's just what I need MOTIVATION!! Thanks, Tracey

Stephanie said...

I would LOVE to join in on the group. My goal is to get back to exercising regularly. My commitment is a minimum of 20 minute a day 6 days a week. AAAAhhh. Did I just go public?

Stephanie