Sunday, March 8, 2009

BIRD CAGE GARDENS

Do you remember when I posted about finding these bird cage gardens? If not you can click on the link and read all about them.

Well, ever since I first saw them, I fell in love with them and knew I had to have one of my own.

However, they cost way to much for my budget.

Not having much money was not going to stop me! I knew if I kept looking and looking I would find a great cage and then I could just add some moss, dirt, flowers and a cherub that I already had found at a thrift store.

Well, let me tell you, it's not easy to find a nice bird cage in my area. I put an add on Craigslist and Free Cycle. I did get one reply from Free Cycle and I drove a few cities away to pick up the cage.

It was not very nice. It was just a plain cage for a cockatiel bird and not well taken care of. But, I thought I would still plant it and could make it cute. After all, it was free.

The cage has been out there for weeks waiting for me. I just wasn't excited about it. So off to the thrift stores and antique malls I went to find me a different cage.

I was shocked to find out even really small ones at the antique malls ran $45 - $100+.

All of my thrift store shopping found not one bird cage!

That is until....

I found this one! I saw it and almost ran to it, trying to not knock over anyone that got in my way.

I couldn't believe the price was only $5.99! Could that really be the price? After all the thrift store I was at was known to be a bit on the high side.

I just knew that if I carried it all the way up to buy it I was going to be told I must have switched the tag because the price was really $30.

So I left it there. I KNOW! What was I thinking?
That night I couldn't sleep. I just kept thinking about how crazy I was for not getting it.

It had a cute little top. It was white like I wanted. It was a good size. It even had little hearts on the doors.

Plus it had a great iron stand!

I just knew that if I went back it would be gone! Yet, I had to go see.

I almost fainted when I saw it was still there. That's it! It was meant to me mine!

So I grabbed it and went to the front. Guess what! That was the price after all. I was so happy!

So now I have my own bird cage and I'm excited about turning it into a little garden. I just have to decide where in my yard I'm going to put it so I know if I should get shade plants or sun loving ones.

Either way, I know it's going to turn out cute.

Oh, by the way, I will still plant the other cage too. Who knows, it could turn out to be darling too!
Photobucket

11 comments:

Lady Katherine said...

Love your story on your great find and price! Dreaming about it! lol Hurry and plant it up I would love to see it!

Donna said...

Oh my gosh, Joanne - that is gorgeous!! I have several bird cages that I plan to post about, but none quite so unique as yours! What a bargain! Of course back here in New England I wouldn't be able to bear putting it outside for fear of it rusting completely during our unforgiving winters! I just can't believe the price! A steal! If you ever get tired of it, I know who would give it a VERY good home .... heee heeee!!!... Donna @ An Enchanted Cottage

Donna said...

Oh my gosh, Joanne - that is gorgeous!! I have several bird cages that I plan to post about, but none quite so unique as yours! What a bargain! Of course back here in New England I wouldn't be able to bear putting it outside for fear of it rusting completely during our unforgiving winters! I just can't believe the price! A steal! If you ever get tired of it, I know who would give it a VERY good home .... heee heeee!!!... Donna @ An Enchanted Cottage

Donna said...

That was strange - my comment posted twice! Sorry about that - I don't know how it happened!...Donna @ An Enchanted Cottage

Allidink said...

Wow! Those are the kinds of thrift stories I LOVE to hear! I'm so happy you got such a deal on that bird cage! Yay! It looks adorable, but once you've added your own touch to it, it will be fantastic. :)

All the best,
Allison

Glenda said...

Well you almost blew it dearie. I know you were looking for one, how could you torture yourself like that ?

It looks very similar to the birdcage my bird is in. I'll have to take a picture of the one I got and planted and post it. I know, I know I keep saying that.

Back from Sac.

CIao

Jean Tuthill said...

What a beauty! Can't wait to see what you do with it!

Anonymous said...

What a great project. Love the bird cage and the price! Can't believe it also included the iron stand. Good thing you went back and got it. I think I will need to look for one and make the garden.

Hugs :)
Irma

Cottage Way of Life said...

You were very lucky such a nice birdcage was still there waiting for you. Usually something like that will be snapped up right away. It must have had your name on it!

Anonymous said...

Wow, what luck! I love the look of old bird cages, but the ones I see are always very expensive! What a great find!
Blessings,
Lorilee

Robin said...

How wonderful! Exciting! You got very lucky! Love this idea! I will have to keep my eyes open for one of these!