Tuesday, March 31, 2009

THERE'S A NEW GAL IN TOWN

HBO has a new series starting up. It's called The #1 Ladies' Detective Agency. Did you get a chance to see it last Sunday? It was the 2 hour pilot.

I had recorded it and watched it last night. I wasn't sure if I would like it or not but I did.

It's about a lady named Precious Ramotswe who is divorced and on her own. Her father dies and leaves her all his cattle. She decides to sell the cattle and buy herself a nice house and open up a Detective Agency. Though she has no experience in being a detective.

It takes place in Botswana. Which of course provides us with a beautiful back drop with their wonderful sunsets and wild life.

HBO actually films over there so it's all real looking and not the back lot feel we often find in films that are based out of the country.

I felt like the story took awhile to unfold and introduce us to all the characters. Though it is easy to follow and to remember who is who.

The cases are not presented in a way of trying to get us, the viewers, to figure them out. At least not in this first episode. I'm hoping it does in the future shows though as I love trying to figure out a good mystery case.

I think this show has a lot of potential. It's funny at times, serious in others. Plus it gives a glimpse into what live is like in Botswana.

I'm looking forward to watching this show and getting to know the characters more.

I've never read any of the books before and to be honest I've never even heard of them. But, I'm happy I found this show on HBO. It's always nice to come across a new show that is different from everything else that is on TV now.

If you didn't watch it I hope you will the next time it's on. I'm not sure if it's on demand or not. Give it a try and let me know what you think of it.

Photobucket

7 comments:

Michelle said...

Oh I actually caught some of this last night! It was actually kinda cute and like you said, funny at times. I think it would be something I would have to get used to but I'm going to watch it again. :)

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

Well, Joanne..this is how it is. Howard does not like to watch anything but the news..and OH do I miss my evening television shows. The bedroom TV is not on cable..so I can usually only watch regular channels there. OR..of course old video's..so..Monday night? It sounds like something I might like..
Have a great day...I need to go answer your letter..I am running late today.
Hugs,
Mona

Donna said...

I love mystery books (Mary Higgins Clark, Joy Fielding, Phyllis Whitney, etc.) and good mystery, thriller, or ghost movies/shows (just no slasher films, thank you very much!) I used to LOVE the old Moonlighting series with Bruce Willis and Cybil Shepherd. This one sounds like I'd enjoy it, but since it's on HBO I won't get to find out since we don't subscribe to any movie channels. I hope you enjoy it though!... Donna @ An Enchanted Cottage

Jean Tuthill said...

I didn't know about the show, but it sounds really good and I will look for it. Thanks for the review.

Joyce's Journey said...

I read the book as it was the selection one month in my Book Club, and I really enjoyed it. I can only imagine the show would be great as well. Unfortunately, I do not subscribe to HBO any longer as I wasn't watching it once The Soprano's ended. Keep us posted on this show though. I bet it will be very enjoyable!!

Harbor Hon said...

I can't afford cable on the little pay I make, but I do have the digital box so I can still watch TV when they make the switch. Enjoy the show! xxoo

Sometimes It's Good said...

I would like it but I don't have cable or satelite right now. I'm getting it sometime...I'm just waiting to see if I'm moving or staying.
I've been bad this week...just felt like I was starving all the time. I know it's not true. I think it was a reaction to some meds or lack of them. Hopefully I will get it sorted out soon.
Hugs, Susan