Wednesday, March 25, 2009

EATING BEANS FOR A BETTER ME

I know every Wed I always say that I can't believe another week has flown by but it's true! It seems like just yesterday I wrote the last post on A BETTER ME and here we are again!

Well, how did your challenge go? Were you able to get in the three days of exercise? I have to admit I only did two days! I know, I know! I'm here writting these posts and trying to help you all stay motivated and on track and then I don't even do it myself.

What's that saying? Do as I say and not as I do. Ya, that's it! So do as I say and not what I do.

I'll try to be better next week.

This week I thought I would talk about beans. Don't ask me why. I'm not sure. Except that I eat tons of beans. Remember I'm a vegetarian and don't eat meat so a lot of my protein comes from eating beans. Plus I love them.

If you are someone who does not like ask beans I have to ask, have you tried all of them? There are so many different kinds. Even I don't like all of them.

There are black beans, fava beans, navy beans, pinto beans, kidney beans, garbanzo beans, soy beans and lima beans. There may even be more but that is all I can think of right now.

Beans come canned, dry, frozen or fresh. Though I have to admit I don't think I've ever had fresh beans or even frozen ones. I have either canned or dried ones.

They can be eaten alone or added to salads, soups, stews, casseroles, side dishes, pastas or rice. You can make hummus or dips and spreads out beans.

Beans are good for you. They are low in fat and high in protein. They help to lower your cholesterol. There are lots of nutrients such as iron, foliate and other B vitamins. They provide you with great soluble fibers too.

Beans are also a low glycemic index food. That means they won't spike your blood glucose levels.

Eating lots of beans has been linked to decreases in ones risks of type 2 diabetes, heart disease and certain types of cancers.

One serving of beans is 1/4 of a cup of cooked or dried beans. One serving of beans equals eating one oz. of meat for your protein. We only need 5-6 oz. of meat or beans a day to stay healthy.

Below is a recipe I got out of one of my Vegetarian cook books called Perfect Vegetarian. I bought it from TJ Maxx. I hope you give it a try. Sorry for the photo quality. Looks like my scanner is acting up.




SPICY FRAGRANT BLACK BEAN CHILI

14 oz or 2 1/4 cups dried black beans
2 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
5 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
1/2-1 tsp. ground cumin
1/2-1 tsp. chili powder
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 carrot, diced
14 oz. fresh or canned tomatoes, chopped
1 bunch fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
salt and pepper

Soak beans over night and drain. Place in a pan, cover with water and bring to a boil. Boil for 10 mins, then reduce the heat and simmer for 1 1/2 hours or until tender. Drain well, reserving 1 cup of the cooking liquid.

Heat oil in a skillet. Add the onion and garlic. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring so as not to burn. Cook until onion is softened.

Stir in the cumin and chili power. Continue to cook for a minute or two. Add the red bell pepper, carrot and tomatoes. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes.

Add 1/2 of the cilantro, beans and the reserved liquid. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for 30-45 mins or until very flavorful and thickened.

Stir in the remaining cilantro and serve.


I hope you enjoy this Chili and will find ways to add more beans to your diet.

Photobucket

14 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi there...I just popped over from Cute as Pie Blog and am enjoying reading yours. You have a wonderful cake plate collection. Did you make that cute Mad Hatter Circle cake? It's beautiful.

Tales From My Empty Nest said...

I love beans of any kind. I am not a vegetarian, but I am not a big meat either. In the summer I love to just eat fresh vegetables. I am happy without meat. Thanks for sharing about beans. Very informative. Love & blessings from NC!

Edie Marie's Attic said...

What a wonderful use for the old spice jars! Great makeover Joanne!

Love the bean recipe, and yes they are so good for us. I'm going to try to get Wes to make that dish for me, since he's the cook!

I love all your cake plates! The black one with the cherries on it is absolutely incredible!! I can see why you had to have it!

Thanks for being MY INSPIRATION on A Better Me! It's so much easier knowing you're not alone in being healthier.

big hugs, sherry

Allidink said...

Beans are great :) That recipe looks yummy! Thanks.

All the best,
Allison

Mumzie said...

I love beans too. My grandfather eat them all the time and he lived to be 97years young. Hubs will only eat beans if I put meat in them and make chili. I'm going to try your recipe, they look tasty. Thanks for your inspiration. Mumzie

Sweet Cottage Dreams said...

Your recipe looks delicious! We like beans in our household and will certainly give this recipe a try.

Here's to healthy eating!!

Becky

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Hi Joanne! I made some chili this week too. It was very tasty! (It had meat in it though)

I need to make meals with more beans in them - they are so good for us!

Have a super night!

XOXO
Jen

Michelle said...

Now this looks like a great recipe...even though I'm not challenging myself. :(

Anonymous said...

Love the recipe, I will need to give it a try. Thanks for sharing.

Hugs :)

Irma

Rechelle ~Walnuthaven Cottage~ said...

I wonder if all the spring cleaning I've been doing would be considered exercise :0)
I love beans, have to admit that they were a daily staple in my home when I was growing up. My dad loves beans so there was always beans on the table no matter what we were eating. Even on Thanksgiving & Christmas! lol!
I like "soupy" pintos topped with shredded cheese, onions and cilantro. Yum! I'm not a vegitarian but beef is not a fave of mine. Give me poultry, fish and beans and I'm a happy girl.

karlascottage.typepad.com said...

We are big bean people here too. At least when my husband is out of town, when he is here, we fill the kitchen with enough meat to start a butcher shop, it seems. So, when he is away on business, I go vegetarian to make up for the splurges.

Debbie said...

Love the recipe and have copied it. I am not vegetarian but it would not take much for me to become one. I love vegetarian dishes and am happy with a meatless meal. Always an interesting blog entry from you. I don't know how you find the time to do all this!:)

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

My gosh those look good. I haven't fixed bean in so long! Maybe it's time that I did. :)
I know they are good for you..they used to really push them as essential when I used to go to WW meetins. Your recipe sounds delicious. I will try it.
Love,
Mona

Tracey said...

What a great Recipe!! I love beans, black, red kidney, garbanzo, butter,, it doens't matter...Oh and I went to the doctor today.. down a couple of pounds and my blood pressure improved greatly!! Thanks for the encouragement.. still walking 2 miles every night with hubby and strength in the am.. your a real inspiration!!