Monday, March 23, 2009

LET THEM EAT CAKE

Most of you know I enjoy making and decorating cakes.

When I first started to learn how to decorate cakes I also learned a love for cake plates, pedestals and holders.

The funny thing is, with the kinds of cakes I make I never used any of my cake plates or pedestals. So they just sit up on top of a cabinet looking pretty.

I took them down today to wash them (Spring cleaning even hit me) and I thought I would share a few of them with you.


I love this one. The top says "Life can be uncertain, eat dessert first".

I think the little birds are darling and the twisted vine that goes around the edge is reminiscent of a birds nest.

The stand also has that same look with a few little berries laying there waiting for the birds to have a snack.

I got this up at the Apple Farm in San Luis Obispo, CA.


I also got the little candy/nut holder and thought it looked cute on top. It isn't a set but they did have it displayed together so I couldn't pass it up.

I think I may use this at the baby shower I'm planning with the bird/nest theme.



I also got this polka dot cake pedestal at the same time. I like polka dots and thought this would go with several different styles/colors of cakes. I think it would be cute with the cake I made above.

The only bad thing, with these pedestals is, they often are not strong enough to hold bigger cakes with fillings inside. They will either tip over or break. So that is why I don't really use them.

The cakes I make are heavy. Heaver then you would think a cake would be.


I got this Mary Engelbreit one off of eBay. I always planned on making a smaller cake for my girl friend who loves Mary Engelbreit.

Hmm, maybe I will do that this year for her birthday.



I love the base and the hanging hearts. The plan was to not only make the cake for her but to give the stand to her as part of her gift. I think she would like it.

I fell in love with this one when I saw a cake made to look like this. The person used black, white and red and it looked like the base with cherries hanging on it.

It was also another win I got on eBay. This is the most expensive cake pedestal I own.

I think we have all seen these colored glass plates. Believe it or not I got this at Big Lots.

I was throwing another baby shower for a friend who was having a boy. We had a tea party and of course the color was blue. So I used these to put the tea sandwiches on.


I got both sizes and stacked them on top of each other.

So you see, you don't have to use these just for cake.



I found this at a thrift store. I thought it was darling and couldn't leave it behind. It's small though. Not really for cakes.



But again, it had the bird on it and you know how I have a thing for birds, bird cages, bird houses and all things to do with birds.

I think it would be great to stack it on top of one of my other pedestals and use it for cookies, mini cupcakes, sandwiches or candy.

This one has pretty flowers on it. I don't even know where I got this one. But I do like the colors. It reminds me of Spring.

I think I need to start using my cake plates/pedestals more often. They can be used for so many different things. Even to hold candles or used in decorating as a place to give an item a little lift.

No matter what they are used for or even if they are just to look at, I love them.

So I say, "Let them eat cake! I'll take the plate instead."
Photobucket

22 comments:

Sheila said...

wow those are all so lovely. beauitful in fact. this was my first visit to your page. it was a wonderful visit

Michelle said...

I LOVE your collection, Joanne. I don't even own one but lately I have been thinking I really need one. The ones with the birds are my favorite. :)

Glenda said...

Holy CakePlate Batman !!!!

You got some fancy, pretty ones !!!!! I am sorry I don't have a favorite because they are all nice.


Ciao

Rechelle ~Walnuthaven Cottage~ said...

That cake in the first pic is fabulous! Almost to pretty to eat...almost, but your cake plates/pedestals are awesome. I love the. I think the one from the Apple Farm is my fave. We've gone through there and stopped but we've never stayed. We celebrate our anniversary up in Cambria at a small cottage in the woods. :0)
Wasn't today beautiful?!

Tracey said...

You are my new Idol!! I love cake plates too!! I have about 5 right now,,and love to look for all kinds of new and different kinds with texture, sparkle and fun. Great collection!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

They are so adorable Joanne! I love the one with the birds the most.

I've bought a few pedestals since I've been inspired by ones I've seen since blogging. None are as ornate as yours though....yours are really unique!

Unknown said...

OH! I love ALL of your cake pedestals! They are all divine! LOVE 'em! I have a jillion, too, but yours are so unique and gorgeous! :)

Cindy said...

What a great collection you have! I love the bird ones and the Mary Engelbreit one too!

Donna said...

How funny, Joanne! You're right - we have the same blog post titles today!!!

Okay, I am seriously in love with your cake pedestals - especially the ones with birds!!! Holy cow, you have such a great collection! All I have is the one little glass one that's holding the carrot cake in my post today! And yes - it is cream cheese frosting...

Thank you for your kind words on my (ahem) baking skills... I sure could have used you over the weekend!! (Oh, by the way, I'm sure you noticed I had a 1.2 lb. GAIN this week!! Oh well, I'm back on track now!)... Donna @ An Enchanted Cottage

bj said...

Those are some of the prettiest cake plates I've ever seen. Just beautiful..
xo bj

bj said...

Just me again...I am wondering how Gene is doing now? I do hope he is recovering and doing much better.

Caroline said...

Simply love your collection of cake pedestals. I love the glass ones and the one with the cherries most I think, but they are all lovely. The cake you made that is in the first picture is spectacular!

Debbie said...

Joanne...I never thought I would be drooling over cake plates but I am! Excuse me while I wipe my mouth...ahem...all I can say is WOW! I absolutely love them ALL! If I had a bigger house with more room I would start collecting those! Some of them are so unique...I have never seen the type with the dangling adornments on the edges...I LOVE that! That cake you made is fabulous too. I wish I knew how to do that. I think I said this before....but it reminds me of the show Ace of Cakes. That looks like a lot of work...is it? Thanks for sharing.

Sometimes It's Good said...

Beautiful cake plates! I can't believe you got the blue glass one at Big Lots. It looks like an antique.
Hugs, Susan

My Galveston Cottage said...

I really liked the Thrift store find -- with the little bird topping it off. But nothing beats that polka dot cake!!!
best,
-susan

Holly Campbell said...

I love each of your cake plates! Such a variety, and all so pretty. . .The only stand I have is actually a candle stand, but I have used it to make mini cakes for my girls on their birthday. They like the special "ness" of having their very own cake.

Thanks for sharing the beauty of your collection!

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Wow - what wonderful cake plates. They are all beautiful. I recently decorated for a big party where we needed a cake plate on each table, I would have died to have been able to use those. They are awesome!

Have a great night!

Jen

Allidink said...

Those are all the cutest things I've ever seen! They make cakes and cookies so much more fun and enjoyable! That is a great collection.

All the best,
Allison

Lindsay-ann said...

Your cake plates are beautiful Joanne. My favorite is the one with the bird on top.
Lindsay

Joyce's Journey said...

Your cake pedestals are beautiful! You have so many interesting, unique ones. I only have a couple and would love to have more, but they are hard to store for me. I have to check out ebay for Mary Englebreit stuff. I love her things. They all look so happy!!

RoeH said...

Wow...I love that cake. And all those photos. And your blog. I came over from Edie with the dieting subject. I've lost 11 pounds in about 7 or 8 weeks. So that's a yay for me. Thanks for the fun.

Elizabeth and Gary said...

Hi Joanne,

Oh my your cake plates are just to die for!. You are such a talented lady.

Enjoy your day,
Elizabeth