Tuesday, December 2, 2008

MY FAVORITE CHRISTMAS COOKIES

I love to bake cookies at Christmas. I have several that I make every year and I always try to make at least one or two new kinds.

But, without a doubt my all time favorite Christmas cookies are Snowballs. I've seen them called by other names but I like Snowballs because that reminds me of winter and Christmas, so that is what I call them.

I've seen several different recipes for this cookie also. I just stick to my tried and true recipe that I have used for over 30 years. Thought you may want to try them out too. So here is the recipe for you to enjoy.

SNOWBALL COOKIES

1 cup butter softened

1/3 cup sugar

2 tsp water

1 Tb. vanilla

2 cups flour

1 cup walnuts chopped

Powdered sugar, enough to roll cookies in two times to cover

Cream butter and sugar. Add water & vanilla, mix well. Blend in flour and nuts. Shape into small balls. Bake on ungreased cookie sheet at 375 degrees for about 20 mins. Cool slightly. While still a little warm roll cookie in powder sugar. Cool completely and roll in powder sugar a 2nd time.

Eat and enjoy!


Photobucket

16 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, those cookies look absolutely delish! Yummmmy!!

Gone said...

YUmmmmmmmyy!!

I make those, too...except with pecans!! They're one of my favorites, too!

This year, I'm not doing much baking, if any. So...please pass me a plate full of those delicious cookies!

Sometimes It's Good said...

I make these just like you do. They are so good! Oh sometimes I make chocolate ones too.

Vickie said...

OHHH, yummy!! White powder suger. Sometimes, I eat it straight.

cherry said...

That is the prettiest looking cookie I have ever seen! Of course I will do a tutorial...let me know what one. Thank-you for your lovely comment. I love to bake during the holidays too. cherry

A Bite of Country Cupcakes said...

Mmmmm sound good to me!
Yummo

Jean Tuthill said...

Hey Joanne, This is the exact same recipe I have used for about 40 years and yes, it is everyones favorite. These cookies just melt in your mouth. I usually make at least 4 batches, we can't get enough of them. My recipe came from the Better Homes & Gardens New Cook Book. (That's the red & white checkered one.) I still use it and it's one of my favorites. I need to make these!

Unknown said...

My mom makes these exact cookies and they are my favorites, too! I like when they are a few days old the powdered sugar soaks into them. They just melt in your mouth!

Judy said...

I love snowballs!! They are one of my go to favs.

JEWELGIRL said...

Yum, my favorite also and I am going to try your recipe, I think we need
some snowball cookies this year!
Thank you for the recipe!!!

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

Hi Joanne,
I make those snowballs and use Pecans instead of walnuts and yummy:)
How awesome to find the box of Christmas treasures and they are so cool:)
Still a little crazy here.
Christmas JOY to You.
Deb

Catherine said...

We always called these cookies Snowballs too. My grandmother baked them every Christmas and they are delicious! Thanks for the recipe Joanne.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Yum! I make these too! I'm making Christmas cookies next weekend :-)

Glad you found those nice Christmas treasures from your Aunt and Uncle (post below)

Enjoy!

Hugs, Pat

Jenny Froh said...

I just made these cookies from your recipe. I didn't have walnuts so I used pecans. They were DELICIOUS! OMG... I can't stop eating them. I hope there's some left for my boys when they get home from school! tee hee
Thank you for posting this!
Jennifer

ranchmama said...

These cookies are also my fav! My Grandma has been making these for my aunt for God only knows how long! lol There is this jar, made up to be santa.. well, my aunt gives it to my Grandma before December to fill with snowballs every year. When I found out about it, and that year my gram couldn't make the cookies, I did and my aunt was happy! lol
I love to make and eat them! :)

w00ts up said...

Yummy!