Sunday, November 1, 2009

RENT ~ THE MUSICAL

A few nights ago I walked down to the Orange County Preforming Arts and saw the production of RENT. It was wonderful!

I didn't get a chance to see it when it first came out years ago. I did see the movie and really enjoyed it a lot. Ever since then, I've been wanting to see the play.

So, when I saw it was going to be here I quickly purchased my ticket, so not to miss out seeing it again.

The story takes place in 1990 in New York. It is about a core of friends who struggles with love, art, homelessness and AIDS.

Of course the story was first shown in the times when being GAY and having AIDS were much more of a struggle then it is today. Yet, it is still very much issues of a lot of people today.

It's a very heart wrenching story about how no matter who we are or where we come from, we all feel love, hurt, have great times and bad times yet no matter what we are going through, it's always better when you have friends to share it with.

The theater holds 2994 seats. So this is a big theater. Yet I could not find one seat that was not taken. Maybe way up in the back there was an empty seat or two but I sure couldn't see one.

I was surprised that the audience was full of BIG time fans of RENT. They knew the songs, the story and all the actors.

The cast that was on Broadway was pretty much the same cast as we saw. They all agreed to recreate their rolls and take RENT on the road.

At times the applause was deafening it was so loud. These people really knew and appreciated talent when they saw it.

I'm very thrilled I got to see this show and would recommend it to anyone.

After the show was over I walked home. Now to most people this is no big deal but here in CA, well we never walk anywhere. We drive to the store that is only a 1/2 block away.

So not only did I get to have a few hours full of wonderful entertainment but I also got some exercise in...and saved on parking costs!

Photobucket

3 comments:

Donna said...

Sounds like a wonderful evening, Joanne! I can't even imagine living close enough to a theater or performance center to be able to walk... How wonderful that you can do that! ... Donna

Glenda said...

You go girl !

I saw rent years ago. Exciting and crazy. The singing sometimes got to me, but was wonderful.

You've been a busy bee lately.


Ciao

Debbie said...

Great post! How fun! Hey...I have left you a blog award at my place...go ahead over and grab it!