Thursday, February 25, 2010

MY RECENT THRIFT STORE FINDS


One of the first things I go look at when I hit up the thrift stores are the dishes, glasses, and table decor.

I'm always looking for fun items for a tablescape somewhere down the line. I've also found that by doing so, I've come across some great bargains.

This is my latest thrift store hall. I think it is the start to a great Patriotic tablescape.


I found some great plates that are white with blue trim. Toss in some red and you are ready to sing God Bless America!


I got four of these plates for 50 cents each! I also got this little blue star bowl for 25 cents but I really think I want to get red stars or if I get red salad plates then a white star would be nice.

I could use the blue star for other items on the table.


I also got five little flags for 50 cents for the whole group. That's only 10 cents each. Not bad!


Then the four gold star napkin rings were $2.00 or 50 cents each. I'm thinking I may spray paint these. I think white stars with some pretty red and white striped napkins would be nice and look more like a flag.

What do you think? Spray paint them or leave them gold?


So, for, $4.75 I got enough for four place settings. I can't wait to put it all together. I'm thinking Memorial Day is coming up, so maybe then?

While this isn't really a tablescape, I'm still linking up to Between Naps on the Porch. I think it's a good reminder for us all to hit up those thrift stores as there are some great items for putting together pretty yet inexpensive tablescapes.
Photobucket

15 comments:

Tales From My Empty Nest said...

My favorite area in the thrift stores is the dishes/housewares area too. I love to see what treasures I can find to use in my home for entertaining, etc. I have found some wonderful items this past year.

Tales From My Empty Nest said...

Joanne, it's me again. I forgot to comment on your items. They are great!! I like the gold stars, but you could always spray them white. I guess it will depend on your napkins. Love & blessings from NC!

a little bit of everything said...

Posts like this make me want to jump in the car and find a thrift store! But do I NEED anything? Of course not. I should be clearing things out but I'm tempted to do the opposite...

I have star napkin rings just like that and it never occurred to me to paint them. Thanks for the idea!

I am a follower and invite you to do the same!

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Now you are ready for the 4th of JULY parties...luv the blue star bowl. Come by and check out my giveaway and THRIFTY party...I think you will like them:)

Blessings,
Linda

Vintage Linen Treasures said...

My favorite posts are of great finds and I have to tell you, you made some GREAT finds! You're a very savy shopper with a good eye. I like the stars as they are, but painting them white would be cute too if they're going on colored napkins. I'm sure that whatever you do, it's going to look fantastic!
Patricia :o)

Kathleen said...

Wow, that's a lot for a little money!
I don't know..if you leave the stars gold you could use them for Cmas too. And gold on the tips of the flag, gold stars go too!

Savannah Granny said...

I love you patriotic finds. I hope you will post the finished tablescape. Leave the stars gold that adds another layer. Great Job shopping.

continentalchocolatier.com said...

I love your blog. Any girl that loves the thrift stores is my kind of gal. The best thing is going with a friend but especially going with a darling daughter (The Style Sisters.blogspot.
Thanks for visiting my blog and your kind words. I will post the prices on the Seashell products tomorrow.

jillskict said...

I wish I had a thrift store with prices like that by me!!! I cannot wait to see the table you described put together is going to look beautifl!

Americana Lady said...

I am Joan and I would have loved to have found patriotic things for a tablescape at the thrift store. How lucky are you!

Kim said...

Too cute and I love the price! Can't wait to see the whole tablescape.

The Southern Belle said...

You are ready for Memorial Day, Fourth of July, and Labor Day. But then there is Presidents' Day, too. What a smart shopper you are!

Mumzie said...

You always find great thrift store items! Love the red, white, and blue. Mumzie

Edie Marie's Attic said...

Hi "Cous"!

I would be so honored if we were cousins! I love your treasures, you find the greatest things. You future tablescape will make your guests want to place their hand over their heart and pledge allegiance! You're so good to think ahead.
I think I want to get some waffle and bacon dental floss & maple flavored toothpicks... maybe I could lose some weight if I went on the floss diet!!! LOL
You have done so good Joanne... congrats on sticking to it!

Big hugs, Sherry

The Southern Belle said...

Thank you for your kind comments on The Southern Belle's blog, Joanne. I am even more motivated when I read that my tables were pleasing to someone else's eyes besides mine! I learned to sew in 7th grade, and I now realize what a blessing that ability is. If you get a machine, I wholeheartedly recommend that you take some lessons. My husband gave me a serger at Christmas, and 12 hours of lessons later at JoAnn Fabrics, I feel like I halfway know what I am doing. Best wishes!