Monday, October 5, 2009

5K WALK FOR THE ANIMALS and WEIGH IN


Yesterday was the 5K Walk for the Animals that I told you all about awhile ago.

My sister, Maureen, her husband Jeff, Trinity and I all signed up to walk. We got people to sponsor us and proudly put out shirts on, got up early and did our part to help save the animals.


This is a 5K that the Orange County SPCA puts on every year. It's a great way to get money to help the animals, get some exercise, have fun and enjoy time with other animal lovers as well as the animals themselves.


It was a beautiful morning. The weather couldn't have been any better for us. The walk was through the trails in the park so it was very pretty.

But the walk was not the only thing going on that day.


Snoopy was there! He was also giving away some tickets to Knott's Berry Farm and telling us about how it's only going to cost $69 for a year pass with no black out days to Knott's Berry Farm next year!

We all agreed to get these for Christmas gifts this year. It's a great deal.

I almost fell over while taking this picture. That's why I'm laughing so hard. First I stepped on Snoopy's foot then he tripped me and I almost went flying backwards but he caught me.

Who knew Snoopy could be so dangerous.


Adoptions were going on also. You could adopt a sweet little puppy like this one.


Or a darling senior dog like this one.


If you would rather have a cat you could have adopted one of those too.

Not this one though. This little one was only two weeks old. The mommy kitty died so these ladies were taking over for her. Feeding the kittens ever 2-3 hours.


Some people came with their hands full. Like this man. He brought all four of his dogs.


Everyone was having such a great time. Even the dogs were smiling.


Trinity just had to take her picture with this big boy. He is a star after all.

Do you know who he is? Have you seen him before?


He is the skateboarding dog. It was so funny to see him ride his skateboard.

I spoke to his owner and he told me that the dog just taught himself to ride. He didn't do a thing. This dog loves riding the skateboard so much that he often has to hide it from him to get him to stop.

I've seen this dog on tv before but to see him do this in person was so fun.


There were dog races. Boy oh boy these dogs could run fast!


Some dogs not only didn't want to run but they didn't even want to walk.

I didn't bring my dogs because I knew my one boy would be like this dog and want to be carried the whole way. So I left them home.

I did buy a carrier like this lady has though so the next time I can bring the dogs and not worry about having to hold my dog when he gets tired. I can just put him in here and then I'll still have my hands free.


There were contests to see which dog was the best kisser, could do the best tricks and which dog could sing the best.

This dog in the photo could read. Yes, you read that right. The owner would hold up a word that was on a sign and the dog would do what it said. He could read and understand Bark, Roll over, Sit, Speak and Lay down.

He won the best award for the best tricks.


Trinity got a lot of doggy love. The dogs seemed to love her as much as she loves them.

She told me there is no such thing as an ugly dog or a dog that she wouldn't love.

I know how she feels. I'm feel the same way.


This little dog is named Charlie. He should have signed up for the kissing contest as he gave Trinity a million kisses.

There were booths where you could join groups, buy items, learn about CPR for pets, buy treats for your animals, donate to rescue groups and purchase raffle tickets.

We all had a great day. We can't wait for next year.


I did want to thank everyone who pitched in an sponsored me. As promised I did match dollar for dollar and the money has been turned in to the SPCA. Thank you so much! It's people like you that help save and take care of all the animals until homes can be found for them.

Today, Maureen and I went to Weight Watchers. We have been going on Tuesdays but we will be gone tomorrow. We are going to see a taping of the Ellen Show.

I think the 5K must have really given me a boost because I lost 3.2 more pounds! I couldn't believe it. I was so happy.

I'm now less then 2 lbs. away from hitting my first 25 lb. goal and then I can book my next trip. I just can't decide if I should do another cruise or just spend the time in New York.

I would love to go to some places I've never been but I also LOVE New York and want to spend more time there. I'm thinking of maybe booking a cruise that leaves from New York and then staying there a few days before. Like I did this year. I don't know.

Maureen did good at weigh in also. She lost another pound. She is less then a pound away from losing her 25 lbs.

I am so happy that we joined Weight Watchers together. It makes it easier to have someone doing it with you. We keep each other on track and get each other to exercise more.

Some days I can feel the weight loss but then other days I feel like I can't tell I've lost a pound. It's strange.

I'm starting to get people telling me that they can notice I've lost weight so that's a good thing. I think the 2nd 25 lbs will be much more noticeable though.

I hope you are all having a wonderful week and taking good care of yourself.
Photobucket

4 comments:

Donna said...

Joanne, you are doing so awesome on Weight Watchers!! Way to go!!

I just loved all your photos of the Walk for the Animals! Oh my gosh, so many sweet little fur babies that you helped with your donation! I'm so glad you had a beautiful day for the walk... Donna

Alison Gibbs said...

Joanne congratulations on nearly being at the 25lb, that is wonderful.
Alison

Frugalious Living said...

I wanted to stop in and say that my hat is off to you and your family for taking part in the 5k walk for animals. Our area offered it as well but I had a required meeting at work that Saturday. I wanted to take part and bring the pup as she would've loved it as well. I applaud you for helping out innocent animals. They really need all the love and support they can get.

Marcia @ Frugaliousliving
P.S. Congrats on the weight loss! You Go Girl!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful day you all had--all the dogs are so cute! Love all the pictures. And congratulations on the weight loss. I'm trying really hard to lose some weight now and have made my 2.5% mark today (about 12 pounds) but I already feel so much better. I think it's great that you are rewarding yourself with more trips! Love the blog.
Kaye