Thursday, June 12, 2008

WORKING IN THE GARDEN & CRAIGSLIST FINDS

We have this little area near our front door that for some reason won't allow anything to grow at all. It doesn't matter what we plant there it dies. So we tried to think of something to do with that area and thought it would be cute to put some pea gravel down and add a fountain there.

We can hear the water when we are in the living room. You know how soothing that is.

We got this little rose fountain at Lowe's. It was only $45.00. Can't beat that. Two bags of pea gravel was about $7.00. We had the bunny and the plant already so for only $52.00 we found a way to have a little beauty in a spot where nothing will grow.

I'm going to get more flowers to put in this area. I want to hang some pots on the wall and also we have a double hook that I'm going to put a hanging plant on and a bird house. But at least we got a start.

This is our mailbox which is right by the front door. Yikes! I need to paint the top. Or should I leave it the way it is, with chippy white paint?
I got these two cute bird houses at Michaels. They were both 1/2 off so I couldn't pass them up. I think I will put one of these out by the new fountain. Which one do you think would be best?
I found these two cute lamps on Craigslist. They are more of a creamy yellow color then they look like. I'll be painting them more of a white. They will go in my blue bedroom.

Oh it doesn't look like I'm sticking to doing only one area of the house at a time. It's hard for me to do that. I like to pick up things as I find them.

But right now I am trying to stick to the garden area. Both front and back.

We did get the swing I wrote about. Sadly though, it's really more of a cream and tan color rather then pink. But, I think I'm going to paint the metal part pink and add some cute pink pillows. So in the long run it will still give the feeling of a pink swing. Don't you think?

I've been working on my blog for Gene. I've started at the beginning so I don't have any updates posted there yet. But the good news is he is getting movement back in his paralized arm! How exciting!

I also think he is going to go home this coming Monday or Tues. I know he will be glad to get there. It's been about 7 weeks already that he has been in the hospital. That's enough to make anyone long for home.

Well don't forget to sign up for my give away, if you have not yet done so. It will be closed tonight at midnight and I will draw the name tomorrow. I can't believe how many people have signed up already.

Also, if you have not noticed, I have an area on the right of my blog for other give aways I find out about. So spend some time clicking over there and you are bound to find several things you want to sign up for.

Hugs,

Joanne


20 comments:

Connie said...

JOOOOOOOOOOAAANNNNNNEEEE!!!!!!!!!!! What a find, my sweet chickadee!!! Oh, my I love those lamps and that fountain. I'm heading over to Lowe's and see if I can find one like that. Just gorgeous, honey!!!!!!
Smoochies,
Connie

Catherine said...

Love your mailbox. The chippy paint gives it warmth and character. I like your comments about your new fountain.

I live about 5 miles from Lake Mead on the Arizona side. I did homeschool my son from 5th grade through high school. He also graduated college. I could write a book. The big bugs are nothing. I had to kill a rattlesnake at the back door last week!

I`ll be back. You have a great blog.
Cathy

Sweetie said...

I love the fountain. I got an inexpensive one at K-Mart. It's not nearly as nice as yours but I like it. It's so relaxing to sit on the patio and listen to the water.

Anonymous said...

Joanne - I LOVE your fountain area! Amazingly beautiful and serene!! Okay, I vote for keeping the chippy white lid on your mailbox - which is really, really nice!! I think you could go with either birdhouse... It's hard to tell, but is the top/spire on the multi-colored one the same color as the fountain? Maybe that would go best? Love your lamps! And I'm sorry about the pink/white striped swing, but I think you're on the right track with the pillows and painting it! It will all be beautiful! And the best news is that Gene is doing so good - I'm sooo happy for all of you! Hugs...Donna

Rhondi said...

Hi Joanne
The little corner of your garden looks wonderful with the fountian and bunny. The sound of water is so soothing isn't it?
I like the birdhouses you got at Michaels.
Hugs, Rhondi

Melissa Lester said...

You find so many wonderful treasures! It looks like your home is a welcoming, cozy place to come home to after spending so much time at the hospital. I hope your brother will continue to make progress.

Anonymous said...

Hi Joanne - you've been tagged!!!...Donna

Glenda said...

You have been a busy little bee haven't you.
Craiglist has so many goodies on it.
I like the fountain. I someday would like to have one. I like the sound of water.
Are you going to hang the birdhouses or put them on a pillar ?

Ciao
Glenda

Unknown said...

Joanne...love your sweet fountain and lil area you created! All of your other finds are wonderful...my put on which birdhouse would be the more rustic one...those lamps are yummy to.

I can never just start and finish one project either...one starts another, which starts another...and so on...that's the creative mind I have decided! lol

Have a blessed day! Lorena

Anonymous said...

Hi Joanne'
I love the mailbox, please don't paint it.I am glad that Gene is getting better.
Linda

KimmyJ said...

Love your little fountain area. I think the smaller birdhouse would match the fountain better out there. I love those lamps, girl! Good job!

Anonymous said...

Stunning ! I love your blog too!

Diana Lyn said...

Hi Sweetie, Thanks for the comment on my Win! Lucky me! I am glad Gene Is getting, better, sadly ,I am not sure my friends husband will! Your finds on Craigslist are devine how did you do that?:o) I never have that kind of luck! Your fountin, is darling and I love the birdhouses,I think the painted one should go there next to it,and leave the chippy paint on the mailbox! Too cute! Hugs and luck to me on your drawing! LOLOLOL Diana Lyn

Mary Ellen said...

Well I am back Joanne, I didn't notice if anyone answered your questions about which birdhouse....
1. I would chose the green one
2. Don't paint the mailbox...love the chipped look.
Those are my humble choices, and thank you for posting on my blog.I just get darn excited when I get a comment.........

Myrna said...

Hi Joanne!
Thanks for visiting..fyi-I had a relapse and am now on anitbiotics. Hoping to be better by Monday as hubby and I leave for our 30th Anniversary trip!
You found some amazing deals! Good for you! Love the fountain and birdhouses, mailbox--well, all of it! (we have the same tastes!! ;-)
Take care.
P.S. I'm updating my "favorites" and putting you in there!!!
Blessings!
Myrna

Cottage Way of Life said...

Don't you just love craigslist?! What a bummer about the swing, but I think painting the metal pink sounds like a great idea. You could get or make pillows that have all the colors in it. It would be so cute. As far as the mailbox, I say leave it chippy! It gives it character! :)

Have a lovely weekend! Glad to hear you will be checking out Treasures N Junk sometime. :)

-Sarah

Flower said...

Everytime I stop by I see all the fun things you are getting and doing! It's never dull and you give ispiration!!
How is your bedroom coming along?
My best to your brother!!

Anonymous said...

Great solution to your "no grow zone". The fountain looks nice (and I am sure it sounds very peaceful).

Thanks for coming by the UpTake blog. You are right--girl's nights are very important to schedule(whether you have Sex and the City as an incentive or not!)

Hope to see you again at UpTake!

Edie Marie's Attic said...

Hi Joanne!
I love your fountain and the pea gravel is sooo European! I like both birdhouses, just see which strikes your fancy when you put them with the fountain. I would leave the mailbox alone, it's perfect!
And those lamps! Great find! I like your idea about the swing, The tan and cream stripe will be a nice complement to the pink accents. It will really come together!
Hugs, Sherry
Sooo glad to hear about Gene!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Joanne,
Such good news about your brother. God is an amazing God.

I love those lamps. Are those Rachel Ashwell shabby chic lampshades? I can't tell, anyway they are very pretty. And I love your mailbox. Have a good weekend.

Hugs,
LeAnn:)