Friday, June 13, 2008

WANT TO COME THRIFTING WITH ME?

My sister, Maureen, and I went to several thrift stores today. I thought it might be fun to take you along with us so you can see for yourself what the CA thrift stores look like.
This first shop we stopped at had things that we don't normally see at thrift stores any more. They mark things Vintage though which of course brings the price up. But the store was very clean and well put together.
I loved this old ironing board and that little blue chair too. But I didn't have any place for them so I passed them up.
They had a lot of items out that could be for 4th of July. Lots of people were buying these kinds of items.
Then of course they had the junky area.
This was at a Goodwill store. They also display things nicely. I think they think since they have raised the prices they should at least make things look nicer.
I did like these little tea cup and saucers but I passed them up too.

They had a cute pink area. I was drawn to this area! But I didn't get anything from here either. I almost got this cute pink cotton candy machine but then I knew I would never use it so I left it for someone who would.
More pretty dishes.


I found this soup dish at another thrift store. I thought of Cindy at Romantic Homes when I came across this. I almost took it home but again, I knew I wouldn't use it and since I'm not working on the dinning room right now I left it alone. I loved the little Shabby Chic cupboard but it was to much for me today. I think it was $129 and I didn't bring that much. Besides, tomorrow is 1/2 on furniture so if I can't stop thinking about this I can always go back.
I fell in love with these rockers and wanted to take them home. They would be perfect in my back yard. But, I drove and they would not fit in my tiny Honda Civic. So I had to leave them behind also.
They had this cute wicker set too. Man, someone is going to have a cute patio set when they find this.


This is what most of our thrift story areas look like. Crammed full of stuff.
You could get shells or this darling pottery piece.
Pretty vintage platters or a vintage Christmas box.
Again, I almost took these plates. I thought they would be cute to have lunch on when my back yard is finished and done in pink. But I didn't give in.

I don't know why but I LOVE these bowls. These are the things I wish I really would have bought. They just make me smile.


I think piece of pottery was pretty too. But I didn't know where to put it so it's still there for some other treasure hunter.
Anyone want an Eiffel Tower full of red, white and blue jelly beans?
How about a sweet little peach tea pot?
Or some vintage glasses or small pitcher?

This little vintage chicken kept calling my name. I went back to him 3 times but sadly I left him to find a different new home.

I know you want to know what I bought.....don't you? Well I will show you tomorrow.

I hope you had fun going to the thrift stores with me today. I would love to see what the thrift stores in your town looks like.

To find out who won my give away scroll down as I posted the winner before I did this post.

Hope everyone has a HAPPY Friday the 13th!

Big hugs to everyone,
Joanne



20 comments:

Mo..."Mo's Cottage" said...

Hi Joanne,
I want to go to your Thrift Stores. They sure had some cute stuff. It's always a hit or miss. I always love it when I find a treasure. My partner in crime is on vacation so maybe next week I'll go thrift store shppping.
Hugs,
Mo :-)

Linda said...

I've been looking on Ebay for a soup tureen like the one you saw...I would have grabbed it!!

Looks like you had a fun-filled day...I can't wait to see what treasures you scooped up!

Anne Fannie said...

Hi Joanne, you don't live that far from me, where is this Thrift Store??? I love some of those plates!
Love, Ann

karlascottage.typepad.com said...

My Goodwill isn't that good! Wow,yours has some real finds. That was great pottery, I'd have snapped up the white and the green ones!

Rhea said...

What fun thrift store pictures! I love the face bowls with the funny expressions. Hilarious stuff in there! You can really find hidden treasures in stores like that.

Thanks for coming by my blog and entering the contest!

Sometimes It's Good said...

Where are your thrift stores? They are so much better than the ones in Riverside. Really cute stuff!

Anonymous said...

That was so fun, Joanne! Thanks for taking us along! I can't wait to see what you got!!!! I saw lots of stuff that I would have had a hard time passing up - and I also thought of Cindy as soon as I saw the soup tureen! LOL We certainly do get to know each other's styles and tastes on these blogs, don't we? LOL...Donna

Glenda said...

Joanne

Nice thrift shops. But how is it thrift when the prices are so high ? It boggles my mind these days how they are marking things similar to other un-thrift stores. Sorry, but that just gets my goat.

I'll be back tomorrow to see what you got.

Ciao
Glenda

Melissa Lester said...

You found so many neat things in your treasure hunt! It is neat to think about where all those items have been, and who might put them to use in the future.

Edie Marie's Attic said...

Hi Joanne!
Wow, you were really strong! Is the little cabinet calling your name? It would be calling mine! I love thrift stores, too much. You found some great items to photo, loved that tiny wood cabinet with the little drawers filled with dishes. That would be adorable anywhere. Glad you had a good time!
Hugs, Sherry

Cindy said...

You are right! I love that soup tureen and I was ooohing and ahhhing over it and then I read what you wrote and had to laugh!

Maybe I should take my camera to some thrift stores around here to share with every one!

THE HOME THAT LOVE BUILT said...

What lovely things to choose from. Looking for vintage treasures is so much fun. Thanks for sharing!

Xo
Brook

Kathy said...

I would definatly go make for that white cabinet and MAKE room, for 1/2 of of 129.00, oh yea. That is darling!
~xx~
Kathy

Flower said...

My eye caught the apple cookie jar about mid way down all of the pictures. It looks like Blue Ridge...and I kind of collect that. It might a knock off....isn't it fun to look!! You do have some nice thrift stores!!

Michele said...

Your thrift stores look WAY nicer than the one I went to a few weeks ago!! I definitely found lots of treasures, but it's not staged as nice as yours is. I LOVE that shabby chic cabinet you saw, and I hope you go back and get it!!!

Michele
luvkittysmeowmail@gmail.com

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Hi Joanne!

That was so much fun! I saw a lot I'd like to buy. I wish I could find thrift shops as good as those near me.

I actually have a chicken container that is very similar to the one you showed. My grandmother raised chickens for their eggs, so I think of her when I see it.

Hugs, Pat

kari and kijsa said...

So much fun shopping! Happy Father's Day!

blessings,
kari & kijsa

Anonymous said...

joanne,
since we've just met and i am new to your blog, i have been reading some of your older posts...this one was soooo much fun! since i haven't been able to get out to do much thrifting of my own lately, this was the next best thing. i never EVER get tired of thrifting even if it is just looking at pictures! thanks for the fun :)
karla

Ivy Bend said...

All the thrift shops around here look like your "junky" photograph. I sure wish we had nicer ones. I love to go to charity shops in England. They have the nicest stuff and dirt cheap--or at least it used to be.

Terra said...

I enjoyed thrift shopping with you, and it was very economical for me: I didn't spend any money or use any gas. Smile. You make the things you photograph look very appealing.