Friday, June 6, 2008

TREASURE HUNTING AND A HERO'S UPDATE

Today I thought I would stop by an antique mall that is near my house. I wasn't really looking for anything special. I just thought I would walk around and see if there was anything I just "couldn't live without".

Well I really lucked out because one of the ladies was closing down her space and everything was $2.00.
I found this darling little hand painted Nippon tray with sweet little pink roses. I knew right away I wanted it. I'm redoing my office in pinks and greens and this would be perfect to hold paperclips on the desk.


Then I found this pretty little plate with pink roses. This will be going in the office also.
On my way out I saw this vintage plant stand hiding in the corner. So I grabbed it too. I'm going to paint this. Maybe pink or white and it will go outside in my garden.

So for $6.00 I got three great little treasures.


Many of you have emailed and asked about my brother, Gene. So I wanted to give you an update.

For those of you that don't know, my brother, whom I call my Hero (see past posts in May for whole story) had a stroke and has been in the hospital for over a month now.

Gene is slowly progressing a bit each day. He now is able to pull his leg up and move it forward and back. Still no movement in his toes though. He even took 10 steps the other day! We are all thrilled with this because the therapist said he knows he will one day be back to walking like normal.

Gene has just started to get some tiny bit of movement in a few fingers in his right hand. He is also getting some movement back in his arm. Not a lot but we will take it for now!

His speech is getting a lot better. At first we couldn't hardly understand anything but now I would say about 85-90% of the time everyone can understand him. When he gets really tired or lazy and doesn't try as hard then it drops down. However, if you ask him to repeat it he will do so and you will be able to understand him again.

We do not know when he will be going home as the insurance will only give an OK for a week at a time. For now we know he will be there at least through next Friday.

They are working on him transferring from the wheelchair to the car so he can be ready to go home when they release him.

His sprits are still up. He is cracking jokes and making us and the hospital workers laugh. He is eating just fine. I bring him in food at least once a week as the hospital food isn't that great. He says I sneak food to him but I always check with the staff to make sure what I'm bringing is OK. I think he likes to think he is sneaking and being bad though. It makes it more fun. Sort of a game to see if we can away with it.

He wanted me to thank you all again and to let you know your prayers are working.

The cards are still coming in and he has them all up in his room. It really makes him happy to see how people around care about him getting better.

So thank you to each and every one of you from my Hero and from me.

Don't forget to sign up for my give away if you have not done so. You have until Friday the 13th to do so.


Hugs to everyone,

Joanne

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Joanne! I am so happy to read about Gene's progress. Just keep reminding him that "Slow and steady wins the race."

You got some fantastic stuff - and for $6 total no less!! LOVE the planter!! You've probably noticed that I have a thing for them! My office is done in pinks and greens and some blue, too. I hope you'll show pictures of it when you get it all set up!

I love that you had a "Flower" skunk, too!! Yes, great minds do think alike!! LOL I hope you have a wonderful weekend!...Donna

Anonymous said...

I am SOOOO behind in mail - I just saw your comment about getting a birdbath at Marshalls and from eBay!! I can't wait to see photos of them! I swear, that brings the birds into the yard in droves, because I don't put out birdseed (once in a blue moon I do, but not regularly)...And as you can see, all the little furry critters love the water, too!...Donna (who doesn't have a drinking problem - ha ha! - you're so funny!!)

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

Don't you just love it when you hit a deal like that. I really like the plant stand! And I just found some heart shaped paper clips that would look great in your dish! Thanks for visiting my blog. Have a great weekend.

Gail McCormack said...

Wonderful news about your brother Joanne. I love your finds - $6.00!!! bargain.

Michele said...

Joanne, I'm thrilled to hear about the great progress that Gene is making!!!! Good for him!!!

How awesome that you hit that store at just the right moment!!! Gotta love a bargain like that, and I LOVE that vintage plant stand you bought! Can't wait to see it painted a light color so I hope you'll post a pic afterwards.

Michele
luvkittysmeowmail@gmail.com

KimmyJ said...

Wow! You got some great reasures for cheap!

Good news on Gene. I really enjoyed sending the card - it was a reverse blessing for me.

Happy weekend!

Edie Marie's Attic said...

Hi Joanne!
I'm so glad to hear that Gene is progressing so well! What a difference time and hard work makes!
Please give him a hug from me!
Hugs, SHerry

YOur finds are sooo fabulous!

Edie Marie's Attic said...

Hi Joanne!
Oh I'm so excited! Wes & I were doing the yard work in the sweltering humidity that we now have, we'd just finished and here comes Wes with a box from the mailman! It was from YOU! It was the giveaway treasures I won from your blog, and I LOVE EVERYTHING!! You are so sweet Joanne! Wes was as excited as I was as I took each piece out and unwrapped it.
So guess what my post will be Monday? You guessed it! This was kind of like an anniversary gift too. Wes & I will be married 29 yrs tomorrow! I'm so blessed!!
Big huge hugs, Sherry

Diana Lyn said...

Hi Joanne, So Glad to hear your Brother is healing well, I will keep him in my prayers! Thanks for the uplifting words I wish we lived closer too! I am thinking,,,,,,,,,whoa thats dangerous, lol anyway how fun it would be to do a Blogging friend Meetup! Wouldn't that be greatif a couple times a year we could all get together! Any way a thought! Hugs to you :o) Diana Lyn

Mo..."Mo's Cottage" said...

Hi Joanne,
I'm so glad your brother is mking such good progress. Wonderful news!!!!
Love all your new treasures. What a bargan...Don't you just love it.
Hugs,
Mo :-)

StitchinByTheLake said...

I have prayed for your brother today. I had a small stroke in April and, thankfully, it really was small and I'm doing great. I prayed that your brother would do as good as I have. Blessings,

maggie said...

Hi, I'm glad to hear that your brother is doing better. I'm just getting my card in the mail today as I've been out of the province for over a week to see my own brother who has been ill.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Glad to hear that Gene is improving day by day, Joanne. It takes time and hard rehab work, but he sounds determined to walk and get back as much movement as possible, and that is half the battle.

I still have him in my prayers,

HUgs, Pat