Saturday, June 21, 2008

SUMMER IS HERE! LET'S GO TO THE BEACH!

Well school is out and the hot days are here! That's right, it's summer! With summer comes the heat and crowds.

My sister, Maureen, my great niece, Trinity, and I went to Laguna Beach to start the summer off with some fun in the sun.

I noticed there were tons of pretty umbrellas at the beach. Looks like people are trying to stay out the sun and avoid the wrinkles down the line.

Well, if you don't have your own pretty umbrella, you can rent one for the day. Along with boogie boards, chairs and other beach items.

We didn't need anything as we were going to walk around and shop. Not to lay out or go in the water.

At least I didn't think we were. Then Trinity asked if we could go and just get our feet wet. It was so hot out that it sounded good to me. So down to the water we went.

I kept getting pulled out a bit further and further by Trinity. She was having so much fun that there was no way I could say no to her. Oh no! A wave came in and got us. I had Capri pants on and pulled them up so they wouldn't get wet and she had shorts on. But the splash of the wave got us a little wet anyway.

We were laughing so hard. Then a bigger wave came and crashed right one us. We were soaked!

So we went up to the boardwalk and sat there to dry off. Everyone was so friendly and talkative. People were walking with there dogs. Having picnics and just enjoying the day.

I love this old life guard stand. It's the first one that was built way back when.
People watching is so fun at the beach.


There was a lot of seaweed in the water and of course it would wash up on the shore. See the little girl pulling it out of the water.



This is the boardwalk. I love walking along there. It reminds me of the olden days.

We also went in the cute shops there.

In one of the shops we went in this darling dog was there. She was so sweet and loving. Laguna welcomes dogs in a lot of places. This one was the owners dog. She came to work with him. What a fun job to be able to bring your dog with you!

The shop was also as cute as the dog. With tons of different signs.

Look at all these signs that greet you when you first walk in.


Even some fun vintage looking signs with funny sayings.

Also, there were lots of shells and items made with shells. Like this pretty box.

Trinity wanted these two little shell turtles. She went to go pay for them and the wonderful man said he was going to give them to her! Wow! How often do you go to pay for something and you are told you can have the items for free..........NEVER! How nice was that.

We will be back to that store again. Also, if you are ever in Laguna Beach you need to go in and check it out. You won't be disappointed.

We also stopped at one of the art museums. I love love love this bird bath! It's so fun but also very expensive.


Look at this piece! This is blown glass that looks like a jelly fish in water.


If I was rich I would have bought this darling lady to go in my back yard. I don't know why but I fell in love with her.


Aren't these tea pots cute!

Down a way further is this little walkway with more shops. Let's take a peek at what they have down there.


Oh, a chocolate shop. Let's see what they have.


YUMMM!

But if you were not in the mood for chocolate maybe you would like to have a nice dish of gelato? Tons of wonderful flavors to pick from. Perfect for a hot summer day.

Laguna Beach is known for being an art town. Even the drains in the road look cute with these hand painted signs.


Aren't they cute?


Look at this. Just like they used to have, a big news stand full of magazines and news papers. But Trinity was more interested in the pay phone. I don't think she has ever seen one before. They are few and far between now that everyone has cell phones.

A great way to get out of the heat is to go to the movies. They have a darling old time movie theater that has been there for years and years. It's like a step back in time.

We were hot and tired and decided to go home and get in the pool. But first I had to admire this statute we passed on the way to our car.

On the way home we stopped at the Sea Life Rescue so we could visit the seals. This is a place were injured seals are taken and nursed back to heath before being released back to the ocean.

I volunteered there a few years ago and got to go on a release. It is sort of sad to say good bye to the seals but when you see them going into the water and being greeted by the other seals it can't help but warm your heart. You know that is where they belong.

Just on the other side of the fence, Trinity, spotted this bird. Isn't he pretty! He let me get really close and didn't even move. He wasn't scared of us at all.

Well, it's time to say so long to the seals.

It's back to home for us.

Hope you enjoyed our little trip to Laguna Beach. We are so lucky to be so close to the beach. It's only about 15-20 mins. from where we live.

Hugs,

Joanne






17 comments:

Cottage Way of Life said...

I have been aching to go to the beach lately. I keep meaning to go, but haven't had a free moment. Loved looking at all your pictures as I have been to LB in a long time. I think 3 years...it was for a wedding.

Let me know if you make it to Treasures. We are space 26, and you can always ask at the front where Sarah and Sue are. :)

Try to keep cool!!

-Sarah

Hazel Martin Designs said...

Hi Joanne! I love your photos and wish you lived near me so I could get one of your cakes! My sis is moving to L.A. soon so maybe I can get one when I visit! Thanks so much for entering my giveaway, best of luck!

Connie said...

I REALLLLY enjoyed that tour, honey buns!! Of course, the chocolate shop was my fav!!!!!!!
Smooches,
Connie

Janet said...

You know how much I love Laguna Beach and today looked like a great beach day. I have never been to CA in the summer, just spring and fall so I have never seen so many umbrellas and their people at the beach. Stay cool.

Janet

Linda ★ Parker's General said...

What a nice mini-vacation--for me! I love seeing the pictures and your naration along with them. We haven't been to Californis since 1997. We don't seem to get far these days but thatnkfully you and Mille Fiore are willing to share the great things about either end of the country. Thamks, Joanne!

Andrea said...

wow! we are going to westport next weekend I am so excited ,it's on the west coast, I have my favorite antique shop over there , thats where I go first then to the beach!

Rue said...

Hi Joanne :)

I love Laguna. I grew up visiting my family in Newport Beach and sometimes we would go there too :) It looks like a really great day and I love "my" chocolate shop ;)

hugs,
rue

Glenda said...

Now this is my kind of weekend. I would love just walking around to all the shops and restaurants.

Looks like you loved your day.

Ciao
Glenda

Joyce's Journey said...

You got some fantastic photo's Joanne! What a treat for all of us! The beach pictures were just beautiful! The shops!! The chocolate! All wonderful! Thank you for sharing!!

Cindy said...

I loved looking at all those photos! Sounds like a fun day! It's been really hot here too!

Terra said...

I like the art works you photographed; they have a bit of whimsy to them. I like art that makes me smile.

Anonymous said...

Hi Joanne,
How are you doing sweetie? I wanna go to the beach, next time please take me okay??

Hugs,
LeAnn:)

Sometimes It's Good said...

Ooh, Laguna,such a pretty town. I need to get down there soon. I always go to the Sawdust Festival.
I'd love to go shopping, too. I used to go to Laguna alot when I lived in Fullerton. I'm an OC girl at heart since I was born in Fullerton.

Loved this post!

Diana Lyn said...

What a lovely trip. I enjoyed taking it with you! LOVE the Pillow lucky you! Hugs Diana

The Queen of Fifty Cents said...

Ooooh, love those wild glass teapots!

Anonymous said...

Joanne - this was the neatest post ever! I've always heard of Laguna Beach and now I can say I've seen it! Gotta love a place that welcomes doggies! Felt OLD when I read the pay phone comment! LOL Back in my day, everyone would have had their transistor radios on Laguna Beach! LOL Oh - and I'm a pink gal, too! I decorate with lots and lots of pinks and peachy-pinks... Thankfully they go hand-in-hand with the blues!! Can't wait to see your bedroom makeover!...Donna

Unknown said...

I HATE LOUISIANA!!!!