Monday, December 8, 2008

A VICTORIAN TEA PARTY

The Victorian Tea Society that I belong to puts on a Christmas Tea every year. It is held inside the historic Kellogg House which is over 100 years old.

This is the first year I've been a member and the first year I helped. I worked behind the scenes, along with my sister, Maureen.

We plated all the food to be brought out to the guest.

The tables were set up through out the house in the many different rooms. There were two sittings. One at 11:00 am and one at 2:30 pm.


The women who served dressed up in Victorian costumes and looked darling.


Those of us working behind the scenes were either in the kitchen behind closed doors or outside in the back on the big covered porch area.


Here are some of ladies talking about the serving strategies.

There were many door prizes also. I even won one!

Because I was to busy working I didn't get a chance to take photos of the actual tea taking place. But it was full of woman and even one man! Even a group of red hatters showed up wearing their bright red and purple outfits.

The food was lovely. First there were scones, jams and devonshire cream. Then there were chicken salad sandwiches, turkey and cranberry rolls, pineapple and cream cheese squares and ham and cheese triangles.

Dessert was lemon white chocolate fudge cups, sugar cookies, banana bread with an orange cream cheese frosting, mini meringue drops and chocolate peppermint bark.

Everyone had a wonderful time. Next year I think I'm going to serve so I can see the other side of the tea. Plus it's a great reason to dress up in costume.

Photobucket

7 comments:

Glenda said...

It looks like a lot of fun.

Do they try to create the type of foods they ate in those times ?

I've only been twice to a tea house.

CIao

Mistress Meeyee said...

That sounds so lovely.Me and my mother dream of having tea with ladies like yourself and your friends.My mother had a tea set once when I was small and she loved it so but I tripped and broke her tea set.She never said a word about it but I know she wanted to kill me or maybe cry but she never let me know it.

Lorilee said...

That sounds like such fun! I would want to dress up too!
Blessings,
Lorilee

Lady Katherine said...

How wonderful! I bet it was a grand time! Love all the dresses!

JEWELGIRL said...

This looks like so much fun! It is
good to remember the past and the
costumes are wonderful!!

Unknown said...

That looks like a lot of fun! All of you look like you're really enjoying yourselves! :)

Alice said...

Oh, what fun! I loved seeing all the pretty dresses the servers wore. I certainly understand that you didn't get any pictures during the tea. It is a tremendous amount of work but it sounds as though you were all well coordinated.