Wednesday, February 4, 2009

WEIGHING IN AND PLAYING GAMES

I only had three ladies report in this week on how A BETTER ME is going. I'm not sure if people are busy, gave up, forgot to email me or if they gained and didn't want to report in.

The four of us lost a total of 7.7 lbs. more pounds this week! YEAH!

I've decided I hate weighing in. It doesn't really matter how well I stuck to my plan or not. I always seem to get butterflies in my stomach as I look at the scales. My heart beats a bit faster as I'm waiting for the numbers to stop on the final weight.

Of course I always want to weigh in first thing in the morning, after I've gone to the bathroom, before I eat breakfast and preferably naked.

Now if I weigh in at a meeting place I can't strip down to the buff but I sure get as close as I can. I put my purse down, take off my shoes, sweater or coat. I wear the thinnest clothes I have. Take anything I have out of my pockets.

I've even been known to exhale just so I don't have any extra air inside me.

I know, I'm crazy. But, I also know I'm not alone. I've seen some women doing some crazy things just to get that darn scale to give them a lower number. You know who you are!

Do you ever lean one way or another trying to get that scale to nudge down just a little bit? Ever try standing on one foot?

Why is it that we always try to play games with our self when we diet? Do you ever do that?

Things like thinking "That cherry pie isn't really that bad. After all it is a serving of fruit". Or thinking you did great because you ordered the salad bar when you go out for lunch. Only the salad bar also has fried chicken, tacos, creamy fattening dressing, chips and even desserts.

It's almost like we are our own worst enemies. Trying to talk our self into eating things that are bad for us. Why is that?

This week I would really like us to think about why we are over weight. Yes, I know we love food. But, so do many thin people. They are not over weight. So why are we?

Next Tues when you all check in with me I hope you will share what you have discovered about yourself. About why you feel you are over weight.

Not only that, but also why you feel like you want to lose your extra weight. Why now?

Sometimes it's not easy to dig deep down inside us and figure out why we are over weight. But, once we do we can always work on how to change things so we never mistreat our self again. We can once and for all stop playing the games with our self and finally get this weight off once and for all.

I know I sure want to. I also know you do too. So, together we will work on reaching our goals one day at a time. We WILL do it!

Photobucket

9 comments:

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

I decided to join my local Weight Watchers as my daughter-in-law joined to lose her post pregnancy pounds and has great success!

I'll have to go on a scale at he meetings, which I hate, but I'm looking forward to figuring out what my "points" will be and then trying to stick to them. I've been so good lately except for some chocolate chip cookies which I won -- a future blog post ..lol!

Keep up the good work Joanne!

Edie Marie's Attic said...

Hi Joanne!

LOVE your post! Yes, we play alot of games and I KNOW that I am one of those people. I will definitely email you with some of my reasons and will put some on my post. It's a DEEP subject isn't it? I hope this is the last time I have to lose more than like 5 lbs!! I want this to be a permanent change for me and for my health because I want to... Be A Better Me!!

Hugs, Sherry

You go girl!!!

Aunt Jo said...

Fiddle! I forgot to email you. Add my 3.2 pounds to your total.

Sometimes It's Good said...

Hi Joanne, I forgot to check in with you, too. I lost another pound but this week has been hard. I stopped writing things down which really helps. It's hard to fool yourself when you write it down. Sharon stopped going to WW with me but I guess I'll go alone. Got to be back on program...it's not that it's hard to eat this way but I'm feeling a little rebelious!
Hugs, Susan

^..^Corgidogmama said...

Good post Joanne~heck, I've even considered getting a haircut before weighing in!!

Karen at Nittany Inspirations said...

I must admit that I have been kidding myself for a few months now, too. My weight has been creeping up. My monster food is potato chips. I can't buy them because a whole bag is 1 serving.

Instead I have been buying baked crackers. I would go thru 1 or 2 boxes a week. Then 2 or 3 box a week. Yesterday, I opened a box in the morning and finished it in the afternoon before I went home. I looked at the label. The box was to make 8 servings. Nine servings X 140 calories a serving. My gosh, that is 1,120 calories. That's what I eat all day when I am dieting. I swore, no more crackers. If it's there, I will eat it. I actually don't even realize that I'm eating crackers. It's a lot easier to pass when the box is on the supermarket shelf than then it's on my desk.

Donna @ Party Wishes said...

I wear the same dress every week to weigh in at Jenny Craig. I want to be consistant and not worry if these pants are heavier than last week's! Keep up the good work!

Jean Tuthill said...

Good for you, keep up the good work!

Donna said...

Well, I know that Weight Watchers worked for me in the past, so that's what I'm sticking to this time around... And I am one of those that you described - I put down my bag, take off my coat (naturally), shoes come off (as long as you're wearing socks - WW doesn't allow bare feet on scales) - and yes, then I EXHALE before stepping on! LOL I think it's so funny that you mentioned that because I always thought I was the ONLY one who did that!... Donna @ An Enchanted Cottage