Wednesday, February 25, 2009

THEY SAY THE ECONOMY AND LOVE IS MAKING US FAT

So how is everyone doing on this lovely Wednesday? This is our weekly post of A BETTER ME where we talk about all things having to do with losing weight, exercise, proper eating and all topics of staying healthy and becoming a better YOU.

We have all felt the pinch of this tight economy lately. People are being laid off of jobs, business after business is closing, house values dropping and even the cost of eating healthy has gone sky high.

They say this bad economy has even had a tole on our bodies. Why you ask?

Well, because the fact of the matter is, it's cheaper, easier and more comforting to eat junk food.

When money is tight we tend to get depressed and that of course is a big reason why many of us turn to food. For comfort. For a fast feel good fix.

Also, with the cost of the groceries getting so high it's become more and more hard to afford fresh fruits, vegetables, meat and dairy. So we tend to by prepackaged items that are loaded with sugar, fats and calories. Or do a quick drive through the nearest fast food resturant.

While fresh food may be more costly don't forget that there are still good buys on frozen fruits and vegetables. These are tasty and just as healthy as fresh.

If you are going to stretch your meal dollars by eating more pasta go with the whole wheat pasta. It's better for you and fills you up for the same cost.

Use your meats in stews, soups and sauces that are full of vegetables. You don't really need to eat that much meat to get your days worth of protein. In fact, you don't need to eat meat at all to get your daily protein.

You can eat beans, lentils and nuts which are all much less costly then meat.

Just be more aware of what you buy, stay away from the fast food joints and plan. Plan your menus ahead of time. Use the weekly store adds to find the best buys for the week and plan your meals around the adds and what is on sale.

Stock up on frozen and canned fruits and veggies.

Even plan your own vegetables and fruit in your garden this year to help cut cost the costs and stay lean and healthy.


Oh being in love...it's the best thing in life right. Wrong! It can make you fat!

Well, love itself won't make you pack on the pounds but when you are in love or in a happy relationship you tend to feel more comfortable with your loved one and well, how do I say this? Let yourself go.

We also tend to eat more when we are in love. We are happy and want to celebrate and the easiest way is with food. Going out to eat, cooking that special dessert, eating that sweet gift of candy.

Well, don't fall for it ladies! Watch what you eat if you are in love or not. When you cook for your special other, do so with love. Think about their health and your own. Cook healthy so you will both be around for a long time.

Go for long walks, hand in hand. Take care of yourself.

So you can see, even in this bad economy and even if you are in love or single you can still be OK. Just plan, watch what you eat, get your exercise and don't forget to tell yourself every day "I'm going to be A BETTER ME".
Photobucket

13 comments:

Connie said...

Thank you, thank you for the kind and sweet comments today, honey! I treasure each and everyone of them. You're very informative with all your posts, ya know!!! :-)
xoxo,
Connie

Cindy said...

Hi Joanne, she told me it was going out to other bloggers. I didn't have anything for my blog today so I put it on there. I just think it's great that BHG is reaching out to the bloggers because we do have a lot of power. We get messages out to a lot of people in real time. A lot of companies are using bloggers this way. I work in the PR dept. of my company and we also reach out to bloggers. I don't see anything wrong with it as long as it is on the same subject matter as my blog and this was.

Anonymous said...

Expanding waistlines used to equal a happy marriage, now they are just a symbol of cholesterol and high blood pressure.
I still love Mcdonalds :)
Thank you for entering my Give-Away and the sweet little comment you left♥

Joyce's Journey said...

Joanne - you always do such a great job with these Wednesday posts! This was a good one. I'll email you on Friday when I can see how wonderfully horrible I have done this week:)

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

I KNOW you are right in everything you say..but it is difficult to do. I will try harder..sorta.. :)
No..I really will. Your heart and our best interest is certainly in the right place. I really DO need to get out of this house and walk.
hugs,
Mona

Sometimes It's Good said...

When I first fell in love I didn't eat much at all! Now let's all snarf it down.
I'm not writing down what I eat and then I tend to estimate lower than what I really ate. So far I haven't gained any back and my jeans are loose but I need to watch out. This is a dangerous period. I want to keep loosing!

Angie said...

I love to eat beans..but, sometimes they have..ummmm..let's just say some rather dire side effects...heehee! When I find a good sale, I stock, stock, stock up! I can barely eat fast good anymore..I do not feel good afterwards..and that is more than enough to deter me!

p.s.

I loved your comment on Connie's post....it is almost exactly what I wanted to say!

Tales From My Empty Nest said...

What good advice. Thanks for sharing. Love & blessings from NC!

FrenchGardenHouse said...

What a great post! First time here, I love your blog.
Lidy

Amy-Razz Pizazz Boutique said...

what an inspiring message! This is my first visit. You were a recommended blog on google reader. I will be back for sure :-)
Amy Sutter

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

Joanne...thank you for your post. I did exactly what you said to do. Just exactly.
I think you are exactly right! I just did not want to say it.
Thank God I am not the only one that would think such a thing.

Allidink said...

Hi!
I just encountered your blog and I love it. I also live in Orange County (Aliso Viejo) and I have just started out collecting and decorating in the cottage style. Are there any great stores you could recommend to me? I saw the two stores you took Glenda to, Country Roads and Paris to the Moon, they look adorable. Thank you so much.
~Allison
Allidink@aol.com

Sandy said...

Joanne,
Thank you for stopping by and letting me know the gift arrived. I am so glad you enjoyed it and hope it works well for the invite!