Tuesday, February 3, 2009

VALENTINE'S BOX TUTORIAL

The other day I saw some cute little boxes but they cost over $6.00 each. There was no way I was going to pay that amount. I took a good look at it and knew I could go home and make my own box for much less.

I thought I would share with you what I came up with so you too could make these.

Since Valentine's Day is coming up I did it in Valentine's Day paper but really these could be made for any holiday or even just some pretty floral paper.


Here is the pattern I came up with. You can save it to your photos then print it out. Print it as an 8x10.

Trace the pattern onto your choice of scrap booking paper and cut it out. Then turn the paper over and where I have drawn lines you will need to fold the paper. You do not need to draw the dotted lines. I just did it to show you where to fold.


To put the box together I just used glue dots but you could use a glue stick or any kind of glue really.




Start with the left side. Put glue on the folded edge and then bring the right side of the paper over and glue it down.


It will look like this. You can see the box shape now.

Fold the flaps on the bottom and glue down the last flap.



You will now have a box. Attach small pieces of velcro to the box and lid area. Also, poke holes in the lid and put a piece of ribbon through the holes. Tie the ribbon in a knot so it won't pull out.

The ribbon makes a little handle.

Fold the lid over and attach a button to give it a little something extra. I used a rhinestone button. I think a heart shaped button would be cute too.


That's all there is to it! You now have a darling little box that you can put a little gift in.


I used a little pink bag and put some heart shaped candy in it. You could put some chocolates or a piece of jewelery.

Hope you enjoyed this little tutorial. If you have any questions, let me know.

These are super easy to make.
Photobucket

18 comments:

Tracey said...

Oh my.. I love the box.. and thank you for sharing. I will make myself one and one for my daughters... it's great!! By the way.. I'm taking my alli and started walking today. I'm feeling good and motivated. I decided my husband and my children deserve a mother and wife that takes care of herself and will be around for awhile.... take care and have a good week.

Connie said...

That is soooo adorable, honey! It almost makes me want to have kids back in the house......but then again......maybe not! Hah.
Smooches,
Connie

Catherine said...

Joanne that is just too cute. Thanks for the easy pattern.

Jean Tuthill said...

Thanks for the tutorial on how to make the box. What a great idea to make the pattern and then to copy it and print it out. It saves a lot of time doing it that way. Thanks again, I am going to try it!

Cottage Rose said...

Oh my gosh; what a cute box you made, and came up with the shape and design your self. How talented you are. And how kind of you to share it with us. I can't wait to try it. he he....

Hugs;
Alaura

Edie Marie's Attic said...

I LOVE it Joanne! OMG it's absolutely adorable! I already saved the image so I can try it. Thank you so much for figuring that out for us. You are awesome! And congrats early on your weight loss!! You go girl!

Hugs, sherry

Glenda said...

You cleaver girl you. It turned out great. You can make those for anytime of year.

CIao

Harbor Hon said...

Joanne,
I thank you so much for the tutorial for the box. You did such a great job and I know this will be simple enough for me to make. You should be proud, you've made so many people happy and shared a part of yourself with us. You rock! xxoo

Tales From My Empty Nest said...

Thanks so much for sharing the pattern for the box. It is adorable!!! I love making things like that to give to others. They would be precious for all holidays!
Have a great day. Love & blessings
in NC!

Donna said...

Joanne, that is so cool!@ I'd have never guessed it was made out of just paper! Wow, those could be done up for Easter, Halloween, Christmas... What a fantastic idea!... Donna @ An Enchanted Cottage

Pearl said...

Hi Joanne... You're so clever to have created this sweet holiday gift box! I think it's lovely and hopefully I'll be able to create one... Your tutorial was excellent... Thanks so much for taking the time and effort to share this with blogland...
God bless...

~hugs 'n prayers~

Pearl

Anonymous said...

Great tutorial about making of cute box for Valentines Day...

Unknown said...

I love boxes and yours is darling, how cleaver are you! Thanks for sharing, gonna try my hand at making one soon.

Lindsay-ann said...

Hi Joanne
The boxes are gorgeous. You are very clever remembering and making your own pattern. Thanks for the instructions. We will definately be making some of them.
Lindsay

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Beautiful box and easy enough to make Joanne. Thanks for the template!

Hugs, Pat

Unknown said...

Thanks for the tute!!! Love the box/purse! It's absolutely adorable! :)

Anne Fannie said...

Hi Joanne
I love the box!
Love, Ann

Laurie and Chris said...

What a great idea. I love it. My nieces would have a ball with these.