Wednesday, February 18, 2009

CALLING ALL LOSERS

Most of the time we think when we are being called a loser that's a bad thing right? Well, not if we are trying to shed those extra pounds. A loser is a good thing. I'm thrilled to be called a loser these days.

I got so many emails from people asking that I keep up the Wed posts of A BETTER ME. Turns out there are lots of people following along even though they don't post or email me their weight loss, tips and ideas.

I can't tell you how good it makes me feel to know that so many of you are being helped by these posts. So, I'm pleased to say A BETTER ME will carry on with posts every Wed on my blog.

One thing I have noticed is many of us have good weeks and bad weeks. Sometimes we lose several pounds. Some weeks we don't lose a thing and other weeks...well, those weeks we may even have a slight gain.

I want you to know this is all very very normal. You are not alone. But, please don't give up. Keep your eye on the big picture. The future.

In the long run you will have your weight loss. The only way you will never reach your goal is if you give up.

I've posted a few weight loss charts that I found on line. I hope you will start your own chart if you have not already done so. Why? Because they will show you your progress over time.

When you have those weeks of no loss or even a little gain you can look at the big picture and see the chart is going down, down, down. There may be a blip or two but so what. As long as the line heads down you are heading in the right direction.



One tip that I have found to be helpful is to plan cheat days. Yes, you heard me. Pick one or two days a month where you give yourself permission to anything you want.

Doing this can be helpful in a few ways. First of all, when you know you are going to have the days where you can eat what you want you don't feel so deprived when you pass up something. It's easier to say no to that piece of cake when you know you can have it in a few days...if you want.

Also, by planning your cheat days you can cut back a little here and there on the other days.

We all know that the only way to lose weight is to take in less calories then we burn. Right.

Well then, if you cut back on a day or two as you plan for your cheat day you will still have eaten the same amount of calories that week and your weight loss will be the same. Or if you like, you can up your exercise to burn off your cheat days.

Often you will find, that just by giving yourself permission to have cheat days, you won't even want them.

If you are like me then telling yourself you can't have something to eat only makes you want it more. But, if you give yourself permission to eat something, and you know that nothing is off limits, then you take control of the issue and can manage it to your benefit.

One other thing I want you all to remember is that if you do mess up and eat more then you should or have planned for, it's not the end of the world. Every bite we take is a chance to get back to eating the right way.

Remember you do not blow your eating plan unless you give up on it all together.

Be kind to yourself. Love yourself and don't forget to tell yourself every day that you are working towards A BETTER ME!
Photobucket

7 comments:

Sometimes It's Good said...

You are so right about it all. I have to be able to cheat sometimes. I don't even say I'm dieting...just trying to eat healthy. I'm one of those people who if you say "no" to...I just want it even more. I have to have a sweet once in a while or I feel deprived!
Hugs, Susan

Michelle said...

Great guidelines, Joanne! I am finding that going into my 40's my weight isn't coming off or maintaining as easily. Time to start eating healthier and being more conscious of it! Oh yes, and that ugly thing called exercise.

Vickie said...

Great tips. I was allowing myself to cheat on the weekends, but really that is too many days. So I am going to try and do the end of the month.

Edie Marie's Attic said...

hi Joanne!

YOU are awesome girl!! What a great accomplishment! I am so happy for you!! You're such an inspiration to me. And I'm so glad we are continuing the Better Me on blogging! I am so thankful that you are doing this. You really motivate me to stay on track Joanne! I can't believe how much better I'm feeling.

Big hugs, sherry

amy & lisa said...

I'm just visiting from My Insanity. I love the party stuff you've shown here. Thanks for sharing your ideas.
Lisa
personallyyouparties.blogspot.com

bj said...

I am so proud of you, Joanne...you are doing so well and you are always so encouraging to every one.
I just made a Jello sugar free, fat free pudding pie and wonder where any calories at all come from? Not nearly sweet enuf so next time, I will make my own with Splenda...maybe it will be lots better. I need to lose about 20 lbs and hubby needs to lose 50 or so. It is so dang hard, isn't it.
Great luck and love, bj

Stephanie said...

I would LOVE to join in on the group. My goal is to get back to exercising regularly. My commitment is a minimum of 20 minute a day 6 days a week. AAAAhhh. Did I just go public?

Stephanie