Thursday, February 5, 2009

DICKENS FAIR

This weekend is the Dickens Fair. Now if you are like me, you probably think Dickens is more Christmas and people dressed up to go caroling. I did.

But, Charles Dickens wrote many stories that had nothing to do with Christmas.

I'm going to be going to the Fair on Sunday and will be dressing up. I hear a lot of people do.

I had the costume already but had to come up with a hat. I couldn't find one anywhere that didn't cost an arm and a leg. So I just took an old straw hat, cut it up, added some material to it and hot glued away.

This is what I came up with.



I got the skirts and capes off of eBay. I'm not sure which one I will wear and which one my sister will wear.



The photos of the costumes are the ones from the eBay listing as I didn't want to dig them out to take photos.


The cape on this one is so much prettier then it shows here. When I get these dug out of the closet I'll try to get a better picture of it. The colors go really well with the hat and the flowers.

I'm looking forward to going. They have people dressed up and act out the parts of the characters from the stories. There are vendors, dances, classes, crafts, a tea and all sorts of fun.

I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't rain on Sunday when we go.

It should be a lot of fun and I'm sure I'll learn a lot as I don't really know much about Dickens at all.
Photobucket

12 comments:

Lorilee said...

That looks like such fun! We love dressing up for Renaissance Festivals, but I have yet to go to a Dickens Fair. I love the second cape!
Blessings,
Lorilee

Holly Campbell said...

Wow, gorgeous gowns, and that hat is amazing! You have such vision and talent!

Glenda said...

That sounds like a lot of fun. I know you'll take pictures to let us know just how much you had.

Ciao

Sometimes It's Good said...

Are you coming to Riverside? I live here and I've never gone to the Dickens Fair. I'm probably going to be in OC most of Sat. and Sun.
Hugs, Susan

Sometimes It's Good said...

I'm moving to Huntington by the Sea. It's off of Newland...right by PCH.

Catherine said...

You are going to have a great time! Love the hat and the wardrobe.

Tracey said...

Can I go with you??? :) I love Dicken's and we don't have things like that around here. I'm very jealous..Please post pictures and tell all!

Pearl said...

Ohhh Joanne, how I wish I could attend the Dickens Fair with you ~sighs~ ... Those type of events are simply awesome and I'm so excited for you! Love the Vintage clothes and I think you did an excellent job creating your hat. Cannot wait to see you all dressed up! I'm looking forward to hearing all about it... especially the food - wondering what type of yummies will be available! Do take care and enjoy the weekend...
God bless...

~hugs 'n prayers~

Pearl

Jean Tuthill said...

It does sound like fun! Wish I could go, too. You did a great job on the hat, it's perfect. Take lots of pictures to put on your blog.

^..^Corgidogmama said...

You are always doing the most interesting things Joanne!

Threeundertwo said...

What fun! We have a big Dickens Fair in San Francisco at Christmas time and my girls always want to dress up. I love the outfits you found and the hat is perfect! Great job!

Jillian's Bella Rosa Antiques said...

The costume is simply amazing! I love seeing them!

Stop on over, I'm having a giveaway today to celebrate 200 posts at Jillian's Pages!