Tuesday, January 5, 2010

I HIT THE JACKPOT!!!


As promised, I'm sharing with you what I found as I was unpacking boxes yesterday.

SILVER!! Lots and lots of silver. Only it wasn't mine. It belonged to my sister, Patty.

She has had it for years and never used it. She was ready to get rid of it but when I told her I loved it she gave it all to me! How lucky can I get?

Thank you so much Patty for being such a wonderful giver and great sister!


It didn't look all shinny like it does now though. It was pretty tarnished. So I used a little elbow grease and now it all looks brand new.

There is a water pitcher, two dishes with covers to keep the food warm, a butter dish.

It's hard to get good photos as everything reflects off the silver.


This cute wine holder. Also, a creamer and sugar holder. I wish I had a tea pot to go with those. Maybe someday I'll find one at a thrift store.


This cute scalloped dish has a crest on it. I'm not sure what the crest is of. I thought it could be the Kennedy crest but I don't think so. I'll have to do some research.


This darling serving tray with a handle, another bowl with a pretty rose pattern going around the edge and another scalloped dish, perfect for candy.


This is a better view of the butter dish (it matches my silverware from my Aunt) and one of the covered dishes. Which can be turned into two uncovered dishes.


You can see the bread basket and a meat tray as well as a better shot of one of the scalloped dishes.


I know a lot of people don't like silver because they don't like to clean it. I found the cleaning to be very enjoyable.

When I was a child I would go to my favorite Aunt's house and she would take out her silver and we would sit there and polish it all up. We talked about everything while doing it. I loved that time spent with her.

So when I was polishing up this silver those memories came flooding back to me.

I also love to see how the tarnish comes off and under all that is a bright shinny beautiful piece of silver.

I can't wait to use these pieces. I've already decided to use several of the pieces at Trinity's Birthday party that we are having this weekend.

I wonder what I'll find the box I unpack today?

For those of you who are interested, I had my first weigh in of the year. I lost 3 lbs this week! That means I made my goal of 10 lbs lost between Thanksgiving week and the first week of the year. I hope you did too.

I've now lost 41.4 lbs. I'm thrilled to hit that 40 lb mark.
One last thing before I go, you must go to http://never-e-nuff.blogspot.com/ and see the wonderful apron she has on her blog that she is giving away. So cute. Be sure to tell her you found her from my blog.
Photobucket

15 comments:

Donna @ Party Wishes said...

You are one lucky chick! I can't imagine how many hours that took to polish, I also like to see the results when I polish silver!

Congratulations on making your goal-you just flew by it! I'm sure you'll be bikini shopping in no time!

Crystal said...

Wow, you really did hit the jackpot. You have one great sister. Now as my husband would say "Do you have a place for it?" It is such a great collection. I hope you can use some for display.
Especially since you polished all of it :)
Congrats, on meeting your goal with your weight loss, especially over the Holidays.
It was great catching up on your blog.

Rach said...

How nice!! Perfect entertainment pieces!!

Debbie said...

You really DID hit the jack "box" as my husband would say!! Wow....I got so excited for you while reading this post! It is not very often that something like this is given to a person...you are so lucky! Great sis huh? Congratulations on the weight loss...that is huge! I am right behind you....this year is a new year for me...working out and weight loss will be my goals...oh and eating better of course. You have to read my blog to find out what happened. I wouldn't wish it on anyone...but am on the mend.

Jackie said...

What lovely silver!!!! It's absolutely beautiful Joanne!!!

congrats on your weight loss! That is wonderful!!

Have a great week!!!
Jackie

Cindy said...

Lucky you!!! It is gorgeous! I love the covered dishes!

I met my goal too. I've lost 12.4 lbs! It feels good to have lost weight over the holidays instead of gaining it for once.

Barb @ The Everyday Home said...

All I can say is wow, wow, wow! That is an awesome gift. I did not envy you all the polishing. Your elbow must be worn out. I know you will display and ise them in wonderful ways. Can't wait to see some of your posts. Blessings, Barb

Glenda said...

The motherload !!!!

Perhaps the crest is the manufactures. I know what you mean when you see silver you kinda go nuts. That's me too, that's why I use to buy it all the time.

I am sure you'll find a coffee or tea pot. There always around. Just be careful not to get a to old of one, the solder they used years ago was lead and it's not healthy to use it for hot beverages.

Nothing here has changed. Still the same thing. But I can't give in.

Ciao

Donna said...

Gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous, Joanne! With all the entertaining that you do, I'm sure you'll put it to good use!

Congratulations to you on meeting your 10 lb. challenge!!! You truly have the mind/body connection going!

Alas, I did not meet the 10 lb. goal... I actually didn't go to a single weigh in during the whole month of December because I wasn't tracking or following closely the WW plan - and I cheated - a lot. I did face the scales this morning though (wasn't able to go to my regular Monday weigh-in) and I was astonished to learn that I was down .6 lbs. I really expected a gain after a month of holiday eating and no weigh-ins to keep me on track.

Hopefully I'm in the correct mindset to stay motivated now that the new year is here!

Congrats again!!

Donna

Cindy@Cutepinkstuff said...

Jack pot, indeed! Lots of elbow grease, but worth it. You have a generous sister who gave you her silver and a past memory that is priceless. Happy New Year!

Pellie / Penny said...

Wow. Lucky you - What a great sister you have.

I love silver and never have minded polishing it. It is so rich looking.
Especially love that water pitcher, its to die for.

Hugs,
Penny

Elizabeth and Gary said...

Happy New Year,
I have been catching up with you today and have enjoyed my visit. Your sliver is just beautiful!. I also have some sliver and it needs some polish, maybe I'll work on that this weekend.
May all your dreams come true this year.
Enjoy your day,
Elizabeth

Nancy said...

I love silver and I was lucky enough to have several pieces given to me by my mother-in-law. You are so lucky and all the pieces are beautiful.
XO Nancy

{Bellamere Cottage} said...

Wow....Oh WOW! What a sweet and generous sister you have! Stunning silver......simply stunning.

Warm blessings,
Spencer

Andy and Ana said...

Hi...:) Found you through a church of Christ ladies blog...are you a member?Love your blog it's so very pretty & whimsical:)Congratulations on your weight loss that's great! Like how you have your favorites links with pix on the side really neat. Enjoyed the stay...come visit me at 'Our Front Porch', Ana:)