Wednesday, September 24, 2008

VICTORIAN DRESSES

Ever since I've joined the Victorian Tea Society I have been browsing the Internet looking at Victorian dress so I can get an idea of what kind of dress I want to get for our dress up teas.

I can't seem to pick on style I love the most as they are all so beautiful.


While I wouldn't pick a wedding dress to wear I just wanted to show you all how pretty they were.


I love that they even used brown material and made it look so classy.


Well I do know I won't be getting one of these type of dress. My butt is way to big as it is. But, maybe I can just say I have a bustle and that's why. LOL

I think this one is so feminine looking. Very sophisticated.

Look at the tassels on this one. Oh so pretty.

Now this one is great for a nice flat tummy look. Even though the women back then were all thin!


This one is so simple and lovely.


These Gone With the Wind type dresses are good for hiding that big butt.



This simple casual one looks the most comfy and I'm all about that.

Well, I still have no idea what type of dress I'm going to get but I am having fun looking at all the different type from the Victorian era.

Hope you enjoyed seeing them too. I did not take these pictures. I found them all the Internet but I don't know who did take them or I would give them credit.

Hugs,
Joanne

17 comments:

Gone said...

I would pick #3 or #7 for me!!! Yes I would!!! Whichever one I wouldn't be wearing, Pauline could wear. Of course, Pauline is my Dress Form!!!

~Blessings,
Jan

Missy Wertz said...

I would have a hard time picking. I love the late Victorian/Early Edwardian era dress. It is number 5. The Burgundy red one.

Years ago we did Civil War Re enacting. It was fun dressing up in dresses like the 'gone with the Wind' and going to teas. Ball gowns in the evenings.

Kim's Treasures said...

They are all so pretty! How fun to be able to be picking one out for yourself or at least the style you like.

Lindsay-ann said...

They are all beautiful but I like the brown one best.
Lindsay

Sometimes It's Good said...

I'd wear that red suit with the hat! That is so gorgeous. I think Scarlet would wear that one, too.

Ele at abitofpinkheaven said...

How fun!!!! Whatever you pick will be wonderful. I can't imagine such fun!

Cloudhunter said...

Wow! How cool! I'd love to be able to wear clothes like that all day everyday. I love everything to do with Victoriana and even some of the Edwardian fashions.
It's interesting to see the different styles that evolved throughout the Victorian period. I have a number of "Cassells Family Magazines" and they all have sections called "Chit chat on dress". The difference in "high fashions" even over a short space of time is quite marked.
I hope you have a wonderful time wearing whatever style you chose.
Best Wishes,
Helen :)

Esther said...

I know it's too hard to choose. I'll watch Anne of Green Gables and go "Oh, I want her clothes" then I'll watch Little Women and want their dresses even though they are from different eras. I wish dresses like that were still in fashion. Although that's coming from me...a jeans and boots girl. But when I want to feel a bit feminine I put on my "Little House on the Prairie" dress and potter around the house in it. It actually makes housework more pleasant. I think I like the brown one best.

emily said...

I just love ALL of them! How fun it would be to get dressed up like that! So lucky!! Thanks for sharing the photos of the dresses!
emily

Pearl said...

Hi Joanne... Ohhh such lovely dresses... I was fond of the white one with the red trim. Will you be getting a parasol to go with your Victorian dress? I hope so! What types of things do you do in a Victorian Tea Society, besides dress up 'n sip tea?! It sounds very romantic. I hope your day went well, and that you're enjoying a pleasant evening... God bless...

~hugs~

Pearl

Glenda said...

I like the first and third one.

I forgot you joined that Tea Party.

I have not been to a tea house in a few years.

Ciao

One Shabby Old House said...

I think that as a Victorian lady you should have them all! When we went to the Biltmore I was amazed when the guide told us that the ladies and guest changed their clothes several times during the day.
Wouldn'that have been grand. But after renovating our house...where did they put those big dresses as all the closets are tiny if they are there at all.
I am looking for a dress too. Eufaula has it's pilgrimage every year in April and the ladies dress up for it.

Alice said...

I can see why it is a difficult decision. I do like the brown dresses, something you don't see much of today. They add to the whole Victorian feel.

Theresa @ Take A Sentimental Journey said...

I love all of those dresses. I wished I had lived in that era.

Thank you for coming by.

The Summer Kitchen Girls said...

We'd pick the brown two....and hope that that bustle would conceal our behinds!!
We have a Civil War reenactment coming up next weekend - and we love going to the Ball to see all of the ladies lovely dresses!!
Have a great week!
Karla & Karrie

Unknown said...

THe brown one is lovely! How to choose? They are all so lovely!

Jennifer said...

Those are all so beautiful! I really love the second one!