Monday, September 15, 2008

EAST MEETS WEST

One of my favorite blogs I have been reading belongs to Pat at http://millefiorifavoriti.blogspot.com/ Pat lives in New York and writes about her great life there. Every time I read her blog I dream about going back to New York and one day getting to meet her in person.

Then I got an email from her saying she was going to be coming out here to CA with her husband. She was only going to be 2 hours away from me down in San Diego.

I was so excited! To top off the excitement she told me about another wonderful blogger Cori, from http://gingerbreadcrumbsandcompany.blogspot.com/ who happens to live very close to me, was going to be meeting up with us too. Cori used to live in San Diego and was going to be our tour guide!

Our first stop was to Old Town. The picture above is of Cori on the left and Pat on the right. It was pretty funny because none of us wanted our pictures taken. So when we did give in we would try to hide behind something.


Old Town was very pretty. There were several stores and places to eat.


Everything was so pretty and brightly colored. I felt almost like we were in Mexico.


The pottery was so cheerful and bright.


There was one wall that had so many pretty crosses hanging on it.


I would love to be able to set a table with these colors!


Even the halls in the court yard were festive with the paper cut outs hanging.


One shop had all these beautiful hanging hand made eggs. The man was even making one while we were there.

This is where we ate. This picture was taken when we first got there and it was not even open yet. The resturant is called Casa Del Rey. The Mexican food was great.

This water fountain is just outside the resturant.

We also got to go to Point Loma Light House. It was the first real light house I've ever seen.

At first I was taken back. It wasn't anything like I thought it was going to look like. But the more time we spent there the more I fell in love with it.

We even got to go inside and see how the light house keeper lived back in the late 1800's. It was very small but cozy.

We all agreed we wanted to stay up there as the views were beautiful, the cool breeze felt wonderful and the house was so sweet.

We were not able to go up to the tower though. It was closed off. This light house no longer is in use.

We also stopped at a small town called Heritage Park. The houses there were so pretty. Though most, if not all are now businesses. There is a B&B there.

Cori had been married here and got to stay in the B&B. Lucky girl!


This house was turned into a gift shop but it was closed. There was even a chain blocking the stairs off but I made Cori and Pat take the chain down and go up there anyway. The stairs were decorated so cute for fall I didn't want to miss out on their photo there.

There is even a little stone rabbit. We all took a picture of the stone rabbit in memory of the blog Stone Rabbit. My close up didn't come out so this photo will have to do.

This darling little tea house was there also. While we had already had lunch we still had to go check it out. They had a little gift shop so we browsed around.


No one was having tea there. I don't know why as it is so cute. Plus it was only $20. I would love to go back someday and actually eat there. Cori!! Did you hear that? Want to go with me?


I loved how they did this display. I've never seen anything like that before. Such a great idea.

Our last stop was to The Hotel Del Coronado. This was another first for me.

The lobby is all in dark woods. It's so rich looking.

The chandelier is huge and so beautiful. This photo doesn't do it justice at all.

We walked around in the shops.

They had such great things. Not your normal hotel gift shop.


But, I did not look at the prices because I'm sure the cost was way up there.

We did not buy anything here. Well, we did get a drink and we sat outside. The weather was great there. The view was lovely and the company could not have been better.

Sadly our time was up and we had to get Pat back to the hotel she was staying at so she could meet up with her husband for dinner.

We did take the longer path back to the car just to stretch the last few minutes out.

I had a blast. I got to meet two great women that I hope will remain life long friends.

Cori and I have said we were going to get together and I hope we really do.

I'm planning a trip to New York and I hope Pat will be willing to meet up and show me around, at least for a little while.

If you get a chance to meet either of these gals I hope you jump at the chance because you won't be sorry.

Hugs,
Joanne

14 comments:

Connie said...

We lived in San Diego in the 60s and loved it. Especially Old Town. There was a mexican restaurant there that we went to all the time because it reminded us of Mexico. We'd eat outside beneath the banana trees and just felt so romantic. Next year when we go down to visit the kids I'm going to have hubs take me to Old Town. I just loved San Diego, sweet chick!!
Smooches,
Connie

Linda said...

What a fun day you had! I was able to meet up with a fellow blogging buddy recently while I was in AZ...we had a wonderful time too. It's difficult, but more people should step outside of their comfort zone. We both have done this with meeting blogging friends and both have been rewarded. It's so worth the effort!

Glenda said...

I've never been down south except as a kid.

I have so many places I'd love to see and I would not where to start. It looks like you have had a wonderful time showing us all the places down there and to meet some bloggers that was a treat.

CIao

Lindsay-ann said...

I WANT TO GO THERE NOW!!!
Thanks for the lovely tour. What a great time you had with your blog friends. I love the chickens pottery and the lighthouse. I hope one day I will be able to visit Heritage Park and stay in that B&B. I have added San Diego to my holiday wish list.
Lindsay

Barb said...

What a wonderful day you had. It looks like it was just perfect.

It was wonderful for the 3 of you to be able to get together. Thank you for the tour.

hugs,
Barb

~Red Tin Heart~ said...

Fantastic photos! i want that red poncho. The paper cut outs were amazing. I use to have tea parties for my family every Summer. I would like to do one again. You really like many of the same things I do.
Someday, I would love to met some of my fellow bloggers. I think it is neat that you have.
xoxo Nita

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Hi Joanne!

We got back to NYC yesterday evening, and so far today I have been catching up on errands, but I'm so happy to have read this post and seen your photos and be able to relive all the good times we had! It was so much fun, and I feel as if I've been friends with you and Cori a long. long, time.

I loved California and I really do hope to get a chance to meet you again in NYC when you visit!

Hugs, Pat

Cottage Rose said...

How how Blessed you are to be able to meet two blog friends. I looks like you all had a wonderful time together. The shops are just beautiful. I hope to be able to meet a blog friend someday. What a bright spot in my life that would be.

Have a great week.
Hugs;
Alaura

Gone said...

Looks like you all had fun!! All of the pix are gorgeous.

Thanks for the visit and comment on our make-over.

~Blessings,
Jan

Unknown said...

Hi Joanne,
It looks like you really enjoyed yourself! Pat is one of my favorite bloggers too!
Thanks for posting the pics.
Diane

Just A Girl said...

Hi Joanne,
Wow! You've got a great eye for photographing! I love the picture of the eggs with all the brilliant colors. Too bad Yo Yo wasn't there! Mine looks so dull compared to yours. What kind of camera do you have again? I'm going to have to come back tomorrow as I'm about to drop.
Talk to you soon.
XO Cori

Tootsie said...

what an awesome day!

Gone said...

Your brother is included in our DAY of PRAYER post today!

~Blessings,
Jan

Kristi Price said...

Looks like you girls had a great time. Thanks for all the pictures. You are really good at telling a story with pictures, you make it interesting. The hotel Del is so beautiful. I have only seen pictures but would love to see it in real life one day.