Wednesday, June 2, 2010

I'M FINALLY DOING IT

I can't tell you how many times I have said I was going to have a garage sale and then didn't. Yet, this Saturday, I'm finally going to have one.

While I love going to garage sales, I hate having them. I don't like to prepare for them. I don't like getting up early. I don't like the actual sale. Nothing about having one makes me happy.

Well, except the money and extra space one gets from cleaning out everything.

I'm not one to haggle over the price of an item. I practically give my items away when I do have garage sales because I don't want to pack things back up and haul things to donate afterwards.

So, when I am asked a price and I give a super low price I don't like when the buyer comes back asking for it to be even less. I know this is normal and considered part of the "game" that people enjoy but I don't like it.

I also don't like the feeling when people come up, take a look around and leave. I feel like they think my stuff is just junk. Again, I know people are out looking for certain things but I still feel like a simple hello or good bye would be nice.

I also feel uncomfortable when a child really wants an item but the mom or dad tells them no. I'm not sure if I should offer to give the child the item for free or if the reason the parent says no is because they don't want any more toys around.

The thing that gets me the most is when someone steals something from you. What do you do? Do you confront them and start a fight or just let them take it? Every time I've had a garage sale or helped a friend have one I see this happen.

Most of the time I figure, if someone needs something so badly that they steal it from a garage sale then they need it more then me so I just turn away and let them have it.

So, I'm not looking forward to this coming Sat. But, I will be happy when it's over. I have so much stuff I'm getting rid of. So far, I have 1/2 of my garage full with boxes of items to sell. I still have a lot of my storage to go through before Sat too.

I wish all my blogging junking buddies lived close by. I know I have things you guys would want and having customers like you guys would make my day!

Wish me good luck and if you are in the area, stop by. I would love to see you.

Photobucket

4 comments:

Donna @ Party Wishes said...

I feel the exact same way about garage sales! I hate them but love the cash and new spaces.

I wish you luck! Remember, it's over in a few hours and then you can have fun!

Tales From My Empty Nest said...

I too feel the same way about yard sales. I guess that is why I have not had one in forever and have just given my things away. Best of luck with your sale. Hopefully you will make lots of money and it will be well worth the effort. Love & blessings from NC!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Good luck, Joanne! I never had a garage sale and after reading your experiences I'm not so sure I'd ever want to have one. Hope you have lots of help and sell everything.

Linda said...

I don't ever have garage sales because of the reasons you've given. I just donate or give things to friends.

My neighbor was the queen of garage sales and she used to do something that stuck with me. She posted large signs that said not to ask for a lower price on items, that she had already posted them low enough, but that after a certain time that day, all of the remaining items would be 1/2 off. I always thought that doing that was so clever.

Good luck with the sale. Hope no one does any stealing this time around! Amazing isn't it!