Sunday, August 9, 2009

GOLDEN RASPBERRIES


At my Weight Watchers meeting, our leader gave us a challenge to try new fruits and vegetables this week.

So I was thrilled when my sister, Patty, came home with some golden raspberries.

I had never had them before. I have seen them but never gave them a try.


Have you ever had them? If not, let me tell you, you should! They are so sweet and have a more mild flavor then regular raspberries.

I loved them. I had some by themselves and some I put in my cereal in the morning.

Now, if you have not ever had them, it's normal for them to have little brown/black fur on them. When I first saw them I thought they had mold on them but they didn't.

They have little tiny hair like things on them. Regular raspberries do too but the color shows up more on the Golden raspberries.

I would love to make jam from these but they are pretty expensive and would cost a bit to much to buy enough to make jam. At least for my pocket book.

So tell me, what are some of the other unique and different fruits and vegetables that are out there that you think I should try. There are so many things that I don't even know what some of them are when I see them at the grocery store.

Photobucket

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi there! Yummy! I love raspberries! I love Alpine Strawberries, too! Oh, you have probably had papaya, but you know, they say it has lots of great enzymes that are great for the digestive system. Just make sure you scrape out all the seeds. They go great in fruit smoothies.
I love that you are trying new fruits and veggies...so healthy to do that and it adds to the nutrients your body needs! Way to go! Keep up the good work! :)

Frugalious Living said...

Hi! I have never even heard of golden raspberries. I wonder if you can't get them up north? They look yummy though!! I really love the summer essentials, watermelon, peaches, kiwis. I no, nothing new there. What about Kaki? I think in the US it's caller Perssimon? (Please excuse the spelling, not sure how it's spelt). It looks like an oblong tomato and has a large green leaf on top. It has to be eaten when its so soft the skin feels like it will break beneath your hands. If you eat it hard it will be horribly dry. When I worked in a grocery store as a teen I brought home a case for dad and I to share. It reminded him of Italy. :)
Its all I can think of at the moment. Congrats on your success!!

A Southern Rose said...

I've never seen those before! They look delicious! I can't think of any fruit that maybe you haven't tried...maybe pomegrante? I love these.

Barb said...

I have never seen golden raspberries.
I'll be on the lookout for some.

Have you tried Kiwi or cactus?

hugs,
Barb

Donna said...

Those look great, Joanne... Seems like all I ever put on cereal is strawberries, blueberries, or sliced banana. I should experiment more! I was down another pound today at my weigh-in... woo hoo!... Donna