Thursday, August 18, 2011

HOW TO MAKE DILL PICKLES


I hope you are enjoying the posts about canning.  From the emails I've been getting I think you are.

So, today I thought I would share how to can pickles.

This was the first year I've made my own pickles and to be honest, I have not yet tried them but they sounded really good to me and they are so easy to make.

Start with washing all your cucumbers.  Make sure you use the pickling cucumbers and not the normal ones you find at the grocery store.  They have been waxed and will not allow the brine to soak through properly.  Plus, they have to big and to many seeds.

Cut your cucumbers into the shape you wanted.  I cut them in spears and into "chips" for hamburgers and sandwiches.   You could leave them whole too it you like.

Just make sure you cut off the tip of the cucumber where the flower was attached.  For some reason this section has some enzymes in it that doesn't do well when making pickles.

You are going to need pickling or kosher salt.  Do not use table salt as it will not work well in this recipe.

To make the brine, you will need 2 cups of white vinegar and 2 cups of water.  Add 2 tablespoons of salt and bring it to a full rolling boil.

While your brine is boiling, get your jars and other ingredients together.


Place one garlic clove and some fresh dill (you could also use dill seeds) to the bottom of the jar.  Then pack in your cucumbers.

Be sure to pack them pretty tight.  This will keep your cucumbers from floating in the brine when you add it.

Once they are all packed, it's time to pour the hot brine into the jars.  Use a funnel and pour slowly to allow the brine to get all the way to the bottom of the jars. 

Fill the jars, leaving 1/2 inch head space at the top. 

Use a knife, small spatula or bamboo skewer and press the cucumbers together to get any trapped air bubbles that may be in your jar. 

After doing this, you may need to top off the jars with more brine.

Wipe the rims of the jars, set the lids on and tighten the rings. 

Place jars in your boiling water canner and process for 10 minutes.  Lift them out and let them sit.


Once you hear the pings of the jars being sealed you are done! 

No wait!  Don't eat them yet.  I know you will want to but you must wait at least 2 weeks.  Waiting even longer will make them even better.

These will last in a cool dry place for at least a year.

I have one more week then I can't wait any longer.  I'm going to open up a jar and try them out.

I'm linking up to Show and Tell over at My Romantic Home and Foodie Friday over at Designs by Gollum.    Please stop by and see what other fun things people are showing.

No comments: