Sunday, August 28, 2011

A SUNNY DAY AT THE FARMERS MARKET

We have had such a nice mild summer this year.  The temperature has been perfect.  Not to hot and not humid. 

This week, they said we were going to start to finally get hot.  YUCK!  But hey, it's almost September so I can't really complain to much.

I thought it would be a perfect day to head out the local Farmer's Market and get some fresh air and maybe do some shopping, before it got to hot out.

I love seeing all the beautiful colors of the freshly picked fruits and veggies.  Plus, knowing all this wonderful food was grown by local farmers makes it even better.

I almost broke down and bought some of the Heirloom tomatoes so I could can more salsa.  Then I decided against it.  It's getting to hot for that now.

I love there is so much more at the Farmers Markets then just fresh fruit and veggies.  They had some beautiful looking herbs for sale.

There were several different types of fruit trees to purchase.  I thought about getting a grape vine so I could have some home grown grapes but then gave up that idea too as I don't really have the room to grow these.

The flowers were so colorful and were much cheaper then buying them at the stores around here.

We listened to this guy for a little while.  He was very interesting.  He was showing us how to grow a lot of things in a small area. 

I'm thinking that maybe this would be a good idea to do next year.  I don't have a lot of room to plant things in my back yard but this can be built and put in places where there is no soil. 

The guy said to make the boxes about 4 times as big as the one he had here.


There were so many dips, salsas, humus and other yummy goods sold here.

There were a lot of the gourmet food trucks there.  So many great things to pick from.  Boy these food trucks sure have come a long way from when I was growing up.

I watched the Great Food Truck Race on the Food Network just the other day and so it was fun seeing what they all sold.  Have you seen that show?


This one did seem to be selling the most.  Nothing like fruit flavored ice on a hot day.

Wow!  Who knew the King was still alive.  He entertained everyone with his songs.  You could even have him come to your parties or buy his CD.  To be honest, he really did sound like Elvis.  He had to be the best sounding Elvis, since Elvis himself.


I think was my favorite place.  Homemade cookies.  I had a chocolate chip chili cooking.  It was a great chocolate chip that left a little kick in your mouth after you swallowed.  Not overly hot but just right.

I can't believe I've never been to a local Farmers Market before.  Do you go to them?  If you haven't, you should. 

There is a lot of good things there and it was really fun.  Everyone was so friendly and all the food was very good.

I'll be checking out more local Farmers Markets by me in the near future.

4 comments:

Blondie's Journal said...

These are great pictures, Joan. It looks like you really have a large Farmer's Market there. I have always wanted to try heirloom tomatoes, maybe even grow them. Our markets officially close after Labor Day. But the Farm Stands in the country are open until after the pumpkins have sold. Those are the best!

XO,
Jane

Kori said...

I'm guessing that's the market at the fairgrounds? I had never been to that one before we moved and now I really wish I had taken the time to go. It looks awesome! The one we always hit was the one at the pier. It's a bit tricky to park sometimes (it gets a little crowded during the later part of the day), but there are lots of cool things to look at...and be tempted to buy. Looks like you had a great day!

The Single Nester said...

Our tomato plants were flattened by Irene. Thank you for your kind thoughts. We are okay and are very very lucky!

misss_e said...

Your farmers market is sooooo much better than the one we have in Nashville. Im so jealous.