Friday, August 5, 2011

ANOTHER CHEAP BUT FUN OUTING ~ CAMPING


I just got home from a fun camping trip.  It was just my sister, my great niece and me.  No men allowed.


Well, except this big boy, who seemed to love our camp area.  He would come by several times a day.  He even brought his wife and three babies with him a few times.

He was so friendly and tame.  We named him George.


We went to a KOA Camp Ground.  It was the first time I had been to one and I was very impressed.

They have so much fun stuff to do.  Of course, hiking is always a big thing when you go camping.

They had a beautiful river to swim in.  They told us some last year a group of young people came and blocked off some of the stream so the water would go up higher and they could swim there.

A big storm came and all the rocks they used was washed away.  But, the group came back again this year and did the same thing. 

It was a perfect place to go cool off and get refreshed from a long day outside.

They had a big play area with lots to do too.

Tether ball always reminds me of when I was a kid.  I loved to play tether ball on the play ground.


They had lots of bikes you could rent and of course there were lots of trails to ride the bikes on.

You could even brush up on your rock climbing skills if you didn't want to leave the camp ground to rock climb.

The huge chess set reminded me of Alice in Wonderland. 


This was called an Air Pillow.  It was really big and like a trampoline.  Only it has big fans blowing it up. 

Kids loved this...so did some adults.  Plus, it was free!


The camp ground has places for tents and RV's.  They also have tepees and cabins you can rent.
To me, it really isn't camping unless you are in a tent, have a camp fire and cook outside.

Here Trinity is making dessert for us.  Do you have any idea what she is making? 


She made us brownies with walnuts.  YUM! 

I bet you wonder how she was able to cook brownies outside.  Don't you?

We brought a box with us and turned it into an oven.  She figured out how many pieces of hot charcoal she needed to get it to heat up to 350 degrees and about 40 mins. later, we had delicious warm brownies to eat!

Yes, we did make S'Mores.  Only not just the normal S'Mores.  We also made them with brownies rather then graham crackers. 

Warning!  If you try these, you may never want to go back to normal S'Mores again!  They were so good, they should be outlawed.


I think one of the best things the camp ground had to offer was the Zip Line.  My sister and I didn't go on it but Trinity did!  She said it was a blast.

We had so much fun and so many laughs.  We did a lot of things we never have done before and at night we loved looking up at the night sky with all the billions of stars. 

Living in the city we don't really see many stars due to all the light. 

To me though, I think I enjoyed the hours and hours of talking.  Telling stories about the past and dreaming about the future.  Telling scary stores was so fun, we ended up going to bed early just so we could lay in our tent, snuggle up and get scared.

So many memories were made.  It was a trip we will never forget.

2 comments:

Carol-Anne said...

So glad you had a nice time! We used to camp at KOA campgrounds all the time when I was a kid.

RachelD said...

Oh, My, Gosh---we want to DO THAT!!! I've never been a camper, but that place, with all the activities---I could just go DWELL there with the Grands for a few days.

And those brownies-in-the-box!! A real think-back to my Cub Scout Mom days. We haven't used the firepit AT ALL this Summer, for it's been too hot, but it's 76 right now, and perhaps in a few days.

It was such a lovely surprise and honor to be a part of your Sidebar, and I hope you'll visit Lawn Tea often.

rachel