Wednesday, August 10, 2011

SAND DOLLARS AND A SPECIAL STORY ABOUT THEM

I love shells and I have lots of them decorating different parts of my house. 

I think my favorite shell is the Sand Dollar.  They seem so delicate.  Yet, they are able to survive living in the ocean with the waves pounding them back and forth.

The only Sand Dollar that I've ever found on the beach were a few purple ones.  I had no idea, at the time, that when they are alive they are purple. 

I was holding one in my hand.  I was so excited to actually find a Sand Dollar.  Looking at it closely, I noticed it started to move in my hand.  I got freaked out.  I am not one who loves fish or live critters in the Ocean that live in shells.

That is when someone told me it was alive.  I quickly put that guy back into the ocean to live out it's life.

Did you know there are several types of Sand Dollars? 

There are the Pancake Sand Dollars.   They are flat, with no holes.

The Sea Biscuit Sand Dollar.  They are puffy and not normally the type of Sand Dollars people think of.


The Arrowhead Sand Dollars got their name from the shape that looks a bit like an arrowhead.


The Key Hole Sand Dollar is the one I think of when I think of Sand Dollars. 

When I was a little girl, I heard a story about the "special meaning" of this type of San Dollar.  Ever since then, I have not been able to look at San Dollar without remembering that story. 

Have you heard it?  If not, I'll tell it to you now.

The San Dollar and Christians share a unique relationship.  You see, if you look closely at the Sand Dollar you will find many symbols to tell the story of the Birth, Crucifixion and Resurrection of Jesus.

On the top part of the shell you can clearly see an outline of the Easter Lily.


At the center of the Lily a five pointed Star can be seen.  This symbol represents the Star of Bethlehem that led the Wise Men to the manger when Jesus was born.

There are five holes in the Sand Dollar and they represent the four nail holes in Jesus' feet and hands and the pierce wound made by the spear that was jabbed into His side when He was crucified.


If you turn the Sand Dollar over you will find an outline of the Poinsettia, the Christmas flower.


If you break open the Sand Dollar you will find find "Doves".  These represent the Doves of Peace.

Now, I have no idea if this Sand Dollar was really placed here on Earth with these hidden secretes from God or not. 

However, I love the story and so I choose to believe they were. 

When I first heard this story, I remember I would break open every Sand Dollar I could find to see if those five "doves" would really be there.  Let me save you the time...yes they are. 

If you have children, it is fun to break open one as you tell the story to them.  Just be careful, they may want to break all your San Dollars like I did.



If you have not heard this story before, I hope you will go take a closer look and decide for yourself if this is a true story or one that has been passed down for years and years.


15 comments:

Stephanie said...

I've never heard that about the doves! How neat!

Gloria said...

I never knew that sand dollars were purple when alive, and I nevr knew they WERE alive! I think I just thought they were shells o something. And what a wonderful story! Thanks for sharing it. Now I want to find a sand dollar and open it to see the doves, like you did. ;)
Best,
Gloria

Gloria said...

p.s. Sorry for misspellings above! LOL!
gv

bj said...

Hi....do you remember me? bj of Sweet Nothings?
I just have been wondering how your brother, Gene, is doing.? Much much better, I do hope.

We love sand dollars..every time we go to the coast, we search for them.
hugs, bj

mary said...

A friend sent me a couple of sand dollars for Christmas. I did not know the story but she sent a postcard explaining it. This was the most special Christmas gift I got. I do believe that God has given us the sand dollar to keep our faith alive.

Darcy Flynn said...

I'm an author of sweet romances and am doing a story based in Florida. I remember hearing the story of the sand dollar when I was young. I googled it because I couldn't remember it and came across your post.
Thank you for the pictures and for sharing the story!

Darcy Flynn said...

I'm an author of sweet romances and am doing a story based in Florida. I remember hearing the story of the sand dollar when I was young. I googled it because I couldn't remember it and came across your post.
Thank you for the pictures and for sharing the story!

Unknown said...

I too have always been fascinated with sand dollars. As a matter of fact my husband and I found one today. I must say it was a timely find considering how we've been feeling lately.... Stuck in a rutt and praying for gods guidance and sometimes hopeless... More so me. But I am Christian and love the lord so much. I believe in finding it that god was giving us a message. That he is watching over us and loves us beyond our wildest dreams. Thanks for your website. On my find in web pages I came accross yours and btw my name is Joanne too and I love cottages. Have a blessed day Joanne!

Unknown said...

I too have always been fascinated with sand dollars. As a matter of fact my husband and I found one today. I must say it was a timely find considering how we've been feeling lately.... Stuck in a rutt and praying for gods guidance and sometimes hopeless... More so me. But I am Christian and love the lord so much. I believe in finding it that god was giving us a message. That he is watching over us and loves us beyond our wildest dreams. Thanks for your website. On my find in web pages I came accross yours and btw my name is Joanne too and I love cottages. Have a blessed day Joanne!

Unknown said...

So sweet I will do this with my children!

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing, beautiful!

*Sarah* said...

I Love Sand Dollars, and I never knew about those doves inside. Never even Bothered to look either.However, That explains the rattling noise inside of them. I'll take your word for it because I really don't want to break the one My Father found on the beach for me.(R.I.P. Dad). Thanks for the knowledge and the story. ~hugs~SG~

Unknown said...

How many seas must a white dove sail
Before she sleeps in the sand?

carolines blog said...

hi love your posts
toy story dvd

Unknown said...

Thank you for your post. I came to America 38 years ago and became a US citizen during that time. I am still amazed at the unique things I discover! I am a Christian too and am in awe of the wonderful things our Lord does for me and my husband,Vern. Again, thank you for your delightful posts.