Sunday, September 27, 2009

CANDY CORN ACRES

Today we went to Disney's California Adventures. We didn't stay long because we were just going to go on one ride and then head on over to Disneyland to meet up with some friends.

However, we did have to stop when we passed by the sign that said Candy Corn Acres.

After all, who doesn't love Candy Corn? Did you ever know where it came from? Did you know that it's actually a vegetable?


I always thought Candy Corn was made in a factory like other candy. So I was very surprised to see that it actually can be planted and it will grow.

You don't believe me? Well, come and take a look. You are going to be shocked. We sure were.


Here it is growing like carrots. With big green tops that have to be pulled off. Just like carrots.


Here is Candy Corn growing in clusters on ivy just like grapes. Yum!


Now this wasn't as shocking as the other ways Candy Corn grows. After all, it is called Candy Corn, so seeing on grow on stalks makes sense to me.


Candy Corn stalks are much prettier then corn stalks. Don't you agree?


Here are really big Candy Corns growing like pumpkins. They look ripe and ready to me.


Candy Corn on cactus too? Well that just is plain odd.


Look at this giant Candy Corn. How long do you think it would take you to eat that one?

I can see it now. Kids all over the world thinking they have been good because they "only ate one piece of candy corn".


Well look at this, Candy Corn also grows like tomatoes. They need to be propped up with cages just like you do with tomatoes.

Leave it to the people at Disney to make something we all thought was nothing more then sugar and color and turn it into a nice, fresh, healthy vegetable.

I bet a lot more kids would eat their veggies if it looks and taste like Candy Corn.
Photobucket

6 comments:

RachelD said...

What a fun horticultural tour!!

All the children and grandchildren have been to Disney World, and have never mentioned that farm of delight---perhaps that magical Corn grows only in California.

I do think that the cactus ones look most like they should---I wonder if the fruits taste of cactus sugar.

Tracey said...

What fun!! I am jealous of the warm temps and beautiful sunshine... again, why do I live in Maine??? I can't remember right now. Seems like you had a great time and it really looks delicious!

Growing Grapes said...

It looks like an amazing place. I must admit I've never heard of candy corn. Does it only grow near Disney?
I live on the Sunshine Coast, Queensland Australia where growing grapes is one of the main stays. We have some great tours around the vineyards, but I'm sure you have that in Florida too. I would be interested to see the candy cane though

Diana Ferguson said...

Great fun! I've had a bag full of candy corn this weekend. Sure glad to hear it's in the food groups!

Donna @ Party Wishes said...

Too cute!

we are hoping to visit there next week!

Furry Bottoms said...

OOH my teeth just ache looking at the pictures!