Thursday, June 6, 2013

IT'S HYDRANGEA TIME!


When I was a little girl, we had a big Hydrangea plant in our front yard.  I remember it well.  It had big pale pink flowers on it. 

I loved when they would bloom because I would pick them and pretend it was my bouquet when I played I was a bride.

I think that is when I first fell in love with this beautiful flower.


We have several Hydrangea plants in both our front and back garden.


This year they are all blooming like crazy and have gotten super big.  When we had a garage sale, last weekend, I can't tell you how many times people would come up and ask what our secrete is to growing such great looking  Hydrangeas. 

Our big secrete is...we don't have one.  Every year it's the same thing, water and feed them Miracle Grow.  That's it.

Some years they just do better then others.


Normally, the white ones are not my favorite but this year I find they are so lovely.  They are bright white and look like little puff balls of cotton. 


There are many different types of Hydrangeas.  This is a Lace Cap.   This one is doing great this year too!  The pink is so deep and pretty.

I've always wanted to try to change the color of our Hydrangeas to purple.  Did you know you could change the color depending on what you add to your soil?  Well you can.  To a point.  It depends on what type of Hydrangea plants you have.

It's best to ask at your garden supply store as to what to add for the type of your Hydrangeas.

The white ones can not be changed.  I believe the others can.  All the pink, purple and blue ones can change but they will some while change slightly while others will turn a deep shade.


This Hydrangea is at our front door.  It was pink but as it aged it turned to this great apple green color.  I love it.

It's really hard to pick a favorite Hydrangea because they are all so pretty.  Do you have a favorite one?


No comments: