Sunday, May 19, 2013

PURPLE BLING CANDY BAR


This weekend was my great niece, Trinity's, 1st Communion.  After the church service we were having people back over to our house and she picked a Purple Bling theme for the party.

For months I was shopping for purple and bling items.  I never knew purple was such a hard color to shop for. 

I knew I wanted to have a candy bar set up.  Turned out to be a big hit with everyone.  Not just the kids.

This post I will only be showing the candy bar.  The next post will be the decorations.


The photos don't really show the "bling" to well but it showed up much better in person.

I made a banner that said Candy Bar and the letters were silver glitter.  Each flag had rhinestones decorating it so it really sparkled.  Behind the banner I hung up curtains made from metallic silver.


I knew I wanted to have some personalized items and so I got some candy bar wrappers.  Then of course, I had to add rhinestones to give them the bling!  Also, I got silver foil to wrap the candy bar in since now Hershey bars only have the brown wrappers.


I also added rhinestones to the candy jars and bowls as well as the scoops. 


You can see the Hershey kisses also got personalized with stickers that matched the candy bars. 


All the candy was also different shades of purple.  But I didn't want only grape flavor candy so of course I had lots of chocolate in there too!


Did you know you could order M&M's in any color and get them to say whatever you wanted on them? 

I got two shades of purple and had them say Trinity on some and 1st Communion on others.  They were very cute!

However, be aware, if you have not ordered them.  They cost a lot of money to get printed.  So I would recommend just getting a few to give a personal touch to your party and then fill in with other candy.


On the table was a purple tablecloth.  I knew I would not have any use for purple tablecloths again, plus, I needed several for all the other tables.  So, I just rented them.  Renting is wonderful.  You end up paying less money and you don't even have to wash them when you return them! 

For added bling, I got some super large "diamonds" that are actually used as paper weights.  I also got containers of smaller "diamonds" and put them all over all the tables.


I was lucky I didn't have to buy jars or bowls to put the candy in.  I either had them or I borrowed them from a friend.  If you are going to do a candy bar for your party, I would start checking out thrift stores for them.  I've seen them there several times. 

If you can't find them in thrift stores, places like TJ Maxx has them for a pretty good price.  Or Michael's costs are good, if you use the 40% off coupon.

I always plan my parties very early so I can start collecting things early and getting sales or using coupons when I can.


To add bling to the jars and bowls I used rhinestones, ribbon with rhinestones attached and while I was at Michaels I found this mesh that looked like it had rhinestones on it but it really doesn't.  It's all in the cut.  But it worked great.  You can cut it up into different sizes to fit what you are using it on.  So much faster and easier then putting on the rhinestones one at a time.

Here is a hint for you, if you are going to get the mesh, you can find some over where they sell David Tutera's wedding stuff.  It's pretty and works well.  However, you can go over to the other "no name" wedding items and find bigger rolls for much less money.  Don't forget the coupon!


You can purchase costly scoops if you like.  However, my advice would be to go to Party City.  They have a candy bar section and you can get color scoops to match your colors.  They are less then a dollar. 

Some people like metal scoops but I prefer plastic so they don't end up chipping the jars/bowls or worse, breaking them.

Also, have fun with the candy you get.  Get different shades of your color, it's to hard to try to match just one shade anyway. 


Rock candy suckers are very pretty but be careful.  Some taste really bad.  These were actually good flavor ones.  I lucked out when I found these.

When you get your candy, you can drive around town and spend a lot of time and gas money or you can do like I did and just order on line.  I always read the reviews before I ordered anything.  Not all candy is good even though they look the same. 

Make sure you have bags so everyone has something to put their stash in and take home with them. 

With some time and a little effort you can put together a pretty and impressive candy bar.  But, no matter what it looks like, it will be a hit.  After all, who doesn't love candy!



No comments: