Thursday, June 16, 2011

WOMEN HAVE GROWN SIZES SINCE 1950's

Yes, it's true.  Women have been getting bigger and bigger since 1950.  Not only weight wise, but also we are now taller.

However, even though women are getting bigger, sizes are becoming bigger too.

What that means is, back in the 50's a women who wore a size 12 weighed approx. 120 lbs.  A size 12 back then was much smaller then our size 12 now.  Have you ever purchased a vintage outfit in your size, only to get it home and find out it is way to small?  No you have not gained weight in the time it took you to drive home.

The designers are now making clothes bigger, yet keeping the size the same.  Today a women who wears a size 12 weighs somewhere around 140-150 lbs.

The designers found out that if they kept the sizes the same as in the 50's women would not want to purchase as many clothes if they had to buy larger sizes.  So, they just made their clothes bigger and kept the sizes the same.

In the 50's, women longed to have measurements of 36-24-36.  Today, those same women would most likely be 38-34-40. 

So when you hear Marilyn Monroe was a size 12 but you think she looked so small, you are correct. 

I've seen some of her actual dresses and she was tiny.  Much more tiny then I even thought she was.  Her dresses today would fit someone in a size 4. 

I for one, am happy that the women today are a bit bigger then they used to be.  It makes me feel like I don't have as far to go as I would if I lived back in the 50's.

This week I lost another 2.4 lbs.  I was happy.  I have to admit, I do not even feel like I've been on a diet.  Yet, every week I have seen a loss on the scales.  It's been perfect because my plan has always been to not be on a diet. 

A diet is something you go off of.  I'm now eating a whole new way and want to continue to eat this way for life. 

Yes, that means having snacks and treats now and then.  So, that's what I have been doing.  It's been working too. 

I really love this new Weight Watcher program and am happy I found my way back.

Photobucket

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the insteresting article. Note: I am 5'8", 145lbs, 34C, and I do not wear a 12; I wear size 6-8 in today's modern sizes.

Unknown said...

Lo E the reason why you are not a 12 because you are tall I am 5ft3in and when I was in middle school I was 5ft one and when I was 145 pounds I was very over weight and on the verge of being a diabetic I had a small waste line and my bust was 34in and I use to be 40in hips so I was a size 13 in jrs clothing which would be a size 10/12 in woman clothing but because of your height you probably wouldnt be a 12 unless you gain 20 pounds or more

Anonymous said...

Ur taller than the average woman today. I'm 5'7" 150lbs 36dd and wear a 7/8