Saturday, June 12, 2010

FROSTINGS CUPCAKES IN LAKE FOREST



I have been to Frostings Cupcakes in Lake Forest before but I just had to go back so I could add them to my hunt for So. Cal best cupcakes.



Located at 23624 El Toro Rd in Lake Forest, CA you will find a fun and hip cupcake shop.

The staff there is very friendly and are always willing to give you their opinion(if asked) as to what flavor should be tried that day.



There are many different flavors available each day. Some are standard flavors that will be there no matter what day you go. Some are just there on certain days of the week.

They are all lined up, look darling and smell super good.



Yet, it's not just cupcakes you can get there.

There are cute shirts, hats, cards, mugs and several other items. Of course they all have the cupcake theme to them. Very cute.



I was excited to try one of the, "flavor of the day", cupcakes. I picked the strawberry with strawberry buttercream icing.



When I cut it open I could see bits of strawberries inside as well as bits of strawberries in the icing.

I couldn't wait to take a bite.

It was very good. Full of flavor and moist inside.

However, the top outside area was dry. I think this problem could have been taken care of if the icing was placed over the whole top. That way the freshness is sealed in. The part that was covered with the icing was moist.

I'm not sure if this is a reoccurring problem or if I just got a cupcake not completely covered.

I would love to try another one to see.



I got some cupcakes to go also. I love the little box and the cute little flower sticker that matches the flower on the cupcakes. Nice detail.



The inside of the box has a liner so the cupcakes don't fall over or press into each other. This is great and I love this extra touch.



At home, I was able to try the Lemon Drop cupcake. It looked very good and I have to say the flavor and texture did not disappoint.

This is by far, one of the best cupcakes I've ever had.



Inside was a surprise of lemon curd. This made the cupcake have the perfect blend of sweet and tart lemon flavor.

This cupcake was not dry at all. It was moist and perfect! A perfect 10 in my book.

You can see the icing covered the whole top of the cupcake so I think that helps.



The other cupcake, brought home to try, was the coconut cupcake. The looks of the cupcake was wonderful. A big mound of icing (I'm an icing lover) and plenty of coconut. The little trademark flower makes it look extra special.



Cut open, I was able to tell it too was nice and moist inside, though not as moist as the lemon one.

Often, white cake is on the dry side so I wasn't expecting a super moist cupcake.

As I took a bite there was a burst of coconut and vanilla flavor that my taste buds sing with joy!

The price of the cupcakes are $3.50 which is average for most of the gourmet cupcakes in this area.

The size of the cupcake is also average. Big enough to satisfy you, but, not so big you couldn't eat two if you really wanted to and I think you will want to!

I really enjoyed my visit at Frostings and will be stopping in again when I'm in the area.

I will give the final score of all areas at the end of my Best Cupcake in So. Cal search. Though I have to say, I'm sure Frostings will be up there on the top of the list.

If you have any favorite cupcake shops or if you are a cupcake shop owner and would like me to try those cupcakes, let me know.

Keep an eye out for my next stop on search for the Best Cupcake in So. Cal.

UPDATE:


I got a wonderful email from FROSTINGS saying they read my post and took my advise. They are now putting the icing on the whole top of strawberry cupcakes.

I was so excited to see that they read the post and took the time to write me. I'm going to stop in for sure the next time I'm in the neighborhood just to try the strawberry cupcake again.

Photobucket

10 comments:

Kathleen said...

Yum, that lemon looks fabulous!
3.50?? Heck, I am going into business!

Tales From My Empty Nest said...

That lemon does look delicious!! They don't put their icing on very pretty, but I guess if it tastes good, that isn't important. Usually the tops are more swirly. And I'm with you, I want icing on the whole top of the cupcake. Love & blessings from NC!

Rach said...

MMM, another fantastic review. They look delicious!

Noelle Garrett Designs said...

Lovely blog! Being a so cal girl myself. . I am going to have to try out some of these yummy cupcakes! Thanks so much for sharing them!

Carrie

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

They all look fabulous Joanne! I think I'd choose the lemon drop cupcake. This must be a wonderful subject to research!

Anita Diaz said...

They all look great, but I think the lemon would be my favorite! Yummy and not on my diet!

Michelle said...

That coconut one looks like it is to die for!

Beth Ann said...

Ohhh!! I wish you had tried a chocolate one...they are my FAV!!!
Ill have to see if this cupcake place is close enough! Thank you for the 'tasting'!

Diana LaMarre said...

YUM! Both the lemon and the coconut cupcakes are making me hungry. I think the coconut frosting would be good on the lemon cupcake

I agree, frosting should cover the entire cupcake.

Cupcake Activist said...

Great review! I tried Frostings during their first week and loved their cupcakes. I haven't been back since because I'm not out in that direction very often (I live in Orange). My favorite was their Pumpkin. Now I think I need to re-visit them soon.