Friday, October 24, 2008

FIRST PIECES OF MY CIVIL WAR COSTUMES

I've been on the hunt to find items for my Civil War Costumes I'm trying to put together for the Victorian Tea Society that I belong to.

I've had several of you email me asking me to post when I find things. So here is my first post about what I've gathered so far. Cameos were very big back then. I had this one in my stash of jewelery I had. I found this at a thrift store years and years ago. I never knew what to do with it but now I do.

I also found this sterling silver heart locket. Lockets were often worn in Victorian times. This one opens up at the top and has a little pocket you can slip a note, a small photo or locket of hair from your loved one in there.

I also found this cute sterling heart with a black stone. I can slip this on the chain from the locket when I want a change.


This darling little gold with green stones bracelet came from my aunt. She passed away and I was lucky enough to get it from her. Perfect Victorian look as they wore dainty pieces like this.




The ear rings they wore were mostly like these. Small stones set in either sterling silver or gold. They had the hooks like these. Posts were not around back then.



I also had picked these two broaches at thrift stores years ago. They too are perfect for the Victorian look I'm going for.


This is one of the skirts I picked up from eBay. Now I need to find hoops to go under this.


I also won this skirt. Cute for spring or summer looks.

This is so fun hunting for items to use. I can't wait until I have a whole outfit and can finally put it all together.

My sister, Maureen, is also a member of the Victorian Tea Society with me so we can always swap items. That will be great because then it's like having access to double the items to use.

We have volunteered to help out at the Christmas Tea they are putting on. I can't wait. It's going to be a blast.

Who would have ever thought that even as an adult you can play dress up and have fun.

Hugs,
Joanne

15 comments:

Gone said...

Beautiful findings, Joanne!!!

Sorry, I haven't been around lately, because of the attack by the wicked neighbor and my injuries on Monday. Still recovering. You can read all about it here:

http://jt-jantom.blogspot.com/2008/10/my-thoughtsa-breakawards.html

Sometimes It's Good said...

I like being in the Red Hat Society for the same reason: getting to dress up in fun outfits!

Anonymous said...

Joanne,
I love the jewelry! That sounds like so much fun! I love to "dress-up". We have been attending the Texas Renaissance Festival for 10 years now. (9 in costume).
Blessings,
Lorilee

Cindy said...

Very pretty! I really like the locket!

The HGTV thing is this weekend and next weekend...not next month! Are you still thinking it's September? LOL

Glenda said...

Well your off to a great start.

Love the jewelry. Did they wear bracelets much ?

You could also find a pretty pin to pin on the black heart.

Sounds like your going to have fun.

Ciao

Joyce's Journey said...

Joanne you are going to have such a great time. We have a place by us called "Yesteryear Village" and at different times of the year, they open for tours and dress in period-style clothes. My daughter's history teacher last year participated and truly loved it. I can't wait to hear about it and see the finished products!!!

Anonymous said...

I love the green skirt! Just beautiful!

Lisa's RetroStyle said...

Looks like things are shaping up very well! Beautiful jewelry...and the skirts are very pretty!!

Heidi said...

Hi Joanne, This looks like such fun! I absolutely love the jewelry & those skirts!!....I also wanted to get ahold of you & ask if you would please send your information sheet for my Very Vintage Christmas Swap!....I was looking through my list of ladies & realized I didn't have yours?....You can get it by going to my blog (foxglovesfabricandfolly.blogspot.com) & pushing the swap button. Thank you so much!....Enjoy your weekend!....Heidi XO

Edie Marie's Attic said...

Hi Joanne!
WHat lovely jewelry! I especially love cameos. The bracelet that your aunt gave you is beautiful. It looks quite old, and a real treasure to have.
Your costume is going to look gorgeous! It's so fun to create a costume.
The party crackers are so cute! And the ghost lollypops are adorable. You are the queen of throwing the perfect parties Joanne!
Hugs, Sherry

Renee said...

That sounds like so much fun. The items you picked up are really nice. I hope to see a picture of YOU (not a picture of you hiding behind something in front of you) on your blog once you get it all together.(HAHAHA!!!) See you tomorrow.

The Summer Kitchen Girls said...

Neat! We had a 150th anniversary at our church 15 years ago and we all dressed up - it was so fun!
Best of luck finding the things you need..
Karla & Karrie

Lori @ Katies Rose Cottage Designs said...

Oh my goodness Joanne ~ I adore those skirts !! I want that style to come back in a big way !!
LOVE IT !
xoxo,
Lori

Jean Tuthill said...

This sounds like so much fun! I love this kind of clothing and think I did this in a past life! haha I really like the jewelry especially the ornate locket, very pretty. You have a good strat on collecting things for it.

Jillian's Bella Rosa Antiques said...

Neat! How fun for you to hunt these items down.