Monday, April 28, 2008

FLOWERS & FLOWERS & PLUMS OH MY!

The smell of the blooming Gardenias are wonderful as you walk in the backyard. I remember when my mom was alive she used to love these flowers. As a young girl she would wear them in her hair.

Sadly my mom is no longer with us. I miss her a lot. Sometimes little things make me think of her. Not all the flowers in my home are from the garden. I made these out of sugar. Well gumpaste for those of you who decorate cakes. Yes you can eat these, but they wouldn't taste to good.

I made the little starfish and sand dollar too.

These little blue hydrangeas are sugar paste too. I made these several months ago. Last year we had so many plums on the tree in our backyard. I wasn't sure if we would get any this year. Hey, there's one! Looks like we will have sweet yummy plumbs after all!
Hey! I see another one! Right next to the little flower. Can you see it? Look hard, they blend in with the leafs.

After searching I found several little ones all over the tree. I wonder if I will have enough to make jam again this year. Last year I made several batches of plum jam.

I was going to show you my new thrift store finds I got today but I thought I would share some flowers and plums instead.

Hope you liked them. I will share my great finds with you next time I blog. I found a chair to go with the cushions from yesterday!

4 comments:

Cindy said...

My gardenias are starting to bloom too. I love those gum paste flowers...they are gorgeous! I really want to learn how to make gum paste roses. I think they look so cute on top of cupcakes.

I wish I had room to plant a Santa Rosa plum tree. That is my favorite fruit and they are so hard to find. It doesn't help that they are only available for 2 weeks out of the year.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

I'm jumping over from Donna's blog to say hello, Joanne!

My Mom loves gardenias too. It was the first flower my Dad gave her when they were young.
I've given her a few gardenia plants over the years but our climate is too cold for them to grow well here.

Your sugar paste flowers are amazingly realistic. I can imagine what beautiful cakes you must make!

Hugs, Pat

Glenda said...

What inspirations you have in your own backyard.
Those gum paste flowers look so real. I wish I had your talent.
I have a gardenia that has bloomed and is so pretty, it's sad when they die.

Glenda

Gail McCormack said...

I love gardenias, I can't seem to grow them in our soil. Loved your gum past roses, would love to see a cake you decorated with them