Thursday, March 8, 2012

A FUN GIRLS DAY OUT

The other day my friend sent me an email asking if I wanted to come and spend a fun girl day with her.  Of course, I jumped at the chance.

She told me she got a great coupon offer to go paint pottery.  Something I've never done before but, always wanted to give it a try.

When we got there we had to make a choice of what we wanted to paint. There were so many things it was hard to pick. 



We finally made our pick.  I thought "great, hard part over".  That was until we had to pick the colors we wanted to paint our item with. 

Oh my, so many to pick from!  The funny thing was, with all the beautiful colors they offered, both my friend and I picked the same three colors to paint with.  Guess we have the same taste.

I forgot to take a picture of my item before I started to paint it. 

I picked out a two piece dip bowl.  It's really neat because you can put ice in this part, then a smaller bowl fits down inside and that is where the dip goes.  Perfect to keep the dip cool for hours.

I love the inside!  This painting technique was so fun.  I had never seen it before and I'm glad I learned how to do this. 

I wish I took pictures of how this is done but I was so excited about doing it that I completely forgot!

It's done by taking water, liquid soap and paint, mix it up and then blow into it.  It bubbles up like when you blow into milk. 

As the bubbles over flow your cup you let it fall onto the piece you are painting.  Then leave it alone.  As the bubbles pop and dry it makes a really fun design.

I was going to paint the whole piece like this but when we tried it on the outside, it didn't work.  The bubbles just ran down the sides and made a mess. 

That is when I decided to paint stripes on the outside. 
I am not showing you the finished piece because I want to wait until it's glazed and fired first.  The colors will really pop and it will look like a finished piece. 

My friend painted a darling ice cream bowl and did the same technique inside her bowl.  You can see it better in this piece.

I won't get to see my finished piece for several weeks because I live over an hour away from the studio.  My friend will pick up our pieces when they are ready and then she will bring mine to me in a few weeks.  I can't wait to see it finished.

I had a really fun time today and learned something new even.  Got to spend a few hours with my friend, laughed and shared  in some deep conversation.  What a fun way to spend the day. 

1 comment:

Furry Bottoms said...

That is one of my most favorite things to do in the world. Paint ceramics!