Saturday, February 13, 2010

A LITTLE ST. PATTY SNEAK PEEK

OK, I know I should still be on Valentine's Day but, I'm always thinking about the next holiday. Well, to be honest, I'm already several holidays ahead but since St. Patrick's Day is the next one, I wanted to give you a peek as to what I'm planning.


Like I did with Valentine's Day and Halloween, I'm going to have a St. Patrick's Day luncheon. So, I've been collecting things for my tablescape.


I had seen some darling shamrock plates at TJ Maxx and I had them in my cart ready to buy but the line was way to long. So, I put them back and said I would go back the next day or stop at another store and get them.

Sadly, they were gone! Not to be found in any TJ Maxx or Home Goods or Marshalls near me.

I had to give up that idea I had and go with a new one. I thought I would go with plates that I could use at other times as well. Why spend money on plates I can only use one day a year?

I found the green and white polka dot salad plates and thought they would be perfect. I got them, not thinking the green was a hard green to match.

After checking out, I noticed, right at the check stand, were some St. Patrick's Day place mats and the green matched. I quickly got back in line and bought them.


Once home I still wasn't sure what kind of plates I could use to go with the funny color green salad plates. I figured I would just find some plain white ones and go with those. I could always pull in more St. Patrick's Day feel with the decorations and shamrock napkins or napkin ring holders.

Then, as luck would have it, I stopped at a thrift store and found these white plates with the green boarder. I didn't have the green salad plates but thought the green looked like it would match up.

When I checked out I was thrilled to find out the "blue" price stickers were on sale for 1/2 off and these plates only cost me 49 cents each! What a deal!


Once home, I remembered I had some white lace chargers and I put them with the plates. They went great!

I know my photos make the greens look like they are not a good match but in person the colors look different and they are great together. With the place mat pulling all the greens into together.

I even found great green glasses to use!


I love these glasses. I found them at the World Market and they were only $2.00 each. They come in blue, pink and clear also. Sure they have a Fleur De Lis on them, which isn't Irish, but who cares! The color is a perfect match and I'm going to use them.

So that's it! That's all you get for now. No more or it will spoil the surprise once it's all put together.

What about you? Are you planning anything for St. Patrick's Day? Do you plan way ahead of time like I do or just use what you have when the day comes?

Wait until I show you what I found for Easter and at such a bargain price too!
Photobucket

7 comments:

Tales From My Empty Nest said...

I love your green plates that you have gotten for St. Patrick's Day. Those paper chargers are beautiful too! Love & blessings from NC!

Joanne Kennedy said...

Thank you! But, the chargers are not paper. They are made out of a tin or some type of metal. I've had them for awhile and never used them.

Hugs,
Joanne

Martha said...

Looks like you're getting all ready for St. Pat's -- love all your greens and I think your table will be smashing!

Donna said...

You put me to shame, Joanne! I have one set of everyday dishes - my white ironstone - and one set of holiday dishes - my Nana's china, which is what we'll be using for St. Patrick's Day.

Hope you enjoyed the movie :) ... Donna

Edie Marie's Attic said...

Hi Joanne!

What great things you found! the glasses are quite awesome and those chargers are too cool.

Your Valentines luncheon was gorgeous and I'm gonna try those Parmesan crisps - pretty cute idea. You are party central!! I always love your clever ideas Joanne!!

Happy Valentines Day! hugs, Sherry

Rach said...

Nice and festive!

Kathleen said...

Hi Joanne,
I left you a message on your current post.
I love your chargers and have been looking for them on line. I found them, and then forgot to book mark it..
If you would, please share where you got them..
I would appreciate it!
I am really enjoying looking around here..hope you will come visit me sometime!
Kathleen