Tuesday, March 20, 2012

TEACHING KIDS ABOUT THEIR FAMILY TREE


I've been teaching my girl scout troop how to do their family tree.  They all had an interest in learning about where they came from.

However, anyone who has ever done a family tree before knows it can be a lot of hard work and long hours. 

That of course makes kids lose interest and not want to keep going forward.

What better way to keep their interest up then to do a craft!


I'm having them all bring in copies of photos of their ancestors.  For this craft, you just need to make a copy of the picture on your printer and use regular paper.  Not photo paper.

The photo may need to be sized up or down depending on how big it is.

You want the face of the person to be about the size of a quarter.



Then you use a clear glass stone (available at craft stores) and cut the photo to fit the stone.   Place a small drop of glue on the stone's flat side and then spread it around with your finger. 

I used Aleene's Original Tacky Glue.  It goes on white but dries clear.

Place the photo onto the stone.  Don't worry if you can't really see the picture through the glue.  I promise it will dry clear and come just right!

Let it dry and then place a 2nd coat of glue on the back of the photo.  Once that dries glue on a piece of a magnet.  I purchased a roll of magnetic tape as it was only $1.00 and could be cut to fit a lot of stones.

Let it dry completely before you use it to hold up anything.


We are going to just make the stone magnets. 

You could make enough for your whole family tree if you like. 

This is a nice way for kids (and adults) to remember their long lost relatives. 


I was at Michael's yesterday, and in the dollar section,  I found these paper weights that had a picture of a flower on them.  I noticed they were really just the same as the small magnets I had made only bigger.

So, I bought one, took the back off and made my own paper weight with a photo of my relatives.  I think they would make darling gifts. 

You could even use, family pictures, vacation pictures, school pictures, baby pictures... the list is endless. 

I hope you will try to make these.  They are so easy and fun.  Oh and the best thing, they cost very little to make.

I've linked up with Show and Tell over at My Romantic Home.  If you have not been there you really should go check out all the fun.

5 comments:

Carla said...

What a wonderful seed you planted!

I agree that knowing your family is fun but doing the research can be tiring when brick walls are hit. You've given them a good way to start, even if they don't start researching until they are grown.

Maryjane-The Beehive Cottage said...

I have been wanting to make these for a long time now! Thanks for showing us how to make them. Yours turned out so pretty! Have a wonderful day Joanne!

Donna said...

Joanne, those are awesome! Great idea for magnets and paperweights! Thanks for the offer of the buttons. I have many, MANY vases filled with white buttons that Baby has, on occasion, tipped over! After picking up buttons scattered everywhere I think I'll be content with what I've got now. I can't imagine picking up double the amount! haha Have a great weekend!... Donna

Marilyn said...

Your troop is very lucky to have you for a leader. Creative ideas keep kids interested in all kinds of things!♥♫

StephieG said...

This is such a neat little crafting idea. I'm actually using it for my wedding invitations. We have a rock theme for our wedding, so sending clear stones is certainly within that theme.